RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
upsidedowncake

Read/Write Speeds RocketRaid 2720SGL

Michael Brown

I have a RAID 5 array set up using 4 x 2TB Western Digital Green drives, the WD20EARX Sata 3 drives. I have noticed that the write speeds to the array, when transferring files from other disks inside my server, are anywhere from 15 MB/s to 35 MB/s, usually on the lower end of that spectrum. The drives are plugged in to a backplane in my Norco 4220 case and then an SAS cable is plugged in to the RocketRaid. I am just wondering if these are normal write speeds, if the WD Green drives are slowing them down, or if anyone else had seen similar speeds?

Just as a reference, I have another drive plugged in to the other port on my RocketRaid and the write speeds seem fine, much faster than to the array. I had previously had the setting for Cache set as Write Through, but switched it to Write Back which has helped a little bit. Any help would be great! Thanks.

I have a 2640X4 RR card (SATA 2) and 4 2TB WD EARS drives (also SATA 2) in a RAID 5 array in my server. 20 minutes ago, I moved a 7 gig DVD (in folder structure) from my HTPC across my network to my server at 100 MB/s. My card or drives are no where close to the speed yours should be.

upsidedowncake

Thanks Michael for the added confirmation, definitely confirms that something isn't right.  I've heard of LifeGuard, ikon, so I'll give that a try.  Previously I had used something like HDTune but have not tried the Pro version, not sure if this would even do what I need.  I am assuming that I can't run lifeguard until I break the array, which means waiting on the new drives to transfer my data over.  At least I should be able to test the new drives before creating an array.

Michael Brown

I have a 2640X4 RR card (SATA 2) and 4 2TB WD EARS drives (also SATA 2) in a RAID 5 array in my server. 20 minutes ago, I moved a 7 gig DVD (in folder structure) from my HTPC across my network to my server at 100 MB/s. My card or drives are no where close to the speed yours should be.

Actually my drives are the old EADS drives.  Dang second martini.

upsidedowncake

I think that actually means my problem is even worse  :)

ikon

I am assuming that I can't run lifeguard until I break the array, which means waiting on the new drives to transfer my data over.

Haven't tested it, but it would not surprise me at all if you could shut down the server, remove one of the array drives, attach it to another computer, and run Lifeguard against it there. Might be worth checking out.

upsidedowncake

It'd be worth a test.  If it works I can proceed with the other 3 drives.

ikon

You might want to consider making an image of the disk first, unless Lifeguard specifically states that it won't overwrite data.

upsidedowncake

Before I went further with Lifeguard, I wanted to post a couple tests that I just ran, as they definitely strike me as odd and I wanted to get some opinions. First a little background: I have the Raid 5 array (G:), a Hitachi 7200 rpm 2 tb drive (F:) also plugged in to the RocketRaid, but no raid setup of any kind, and the boot drive which is two 300 GB WD Scorpio Black drives in software RAID 1 on the motherboard. I ran two series of tests, copying files two and from the array. I've also attached some benchmark results that I ran on the array.  The speeds are better than in the OP, but still not where I feel they should be.  All of these tests were internal on the server, no network transfer of any kind yet.

Test 1: Transferred files from F: drive to the array - consistent 70 MB/s.  Upon transferring from the array, to the F: drive, it started at 200-225 MB/s, decent speed, but quickly leveled off at 120 MB/s.

Test 2: Exact same thing, but from D: drive to the array - consistent 75-80 MB/s.  Again, transferring from the array saw a start of 200-225 MB/s, and quickly leveled off to 110 MB/s.

Shouldn't the write to/from speeds be nearly the same? Everything points to something wrong with one of the array drives, just wanted to gauge reaction before going through several multiple hour tests.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

array benchmark test.JPG

ikon

Wow, those ATTO results for the RAID array look pretty good. You think they should be faster?