RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
upsidedowncake

Read/Write Speeds RocketRaid 2720SGL

ikon

There is some truth to that.

LMAO :D

upsidedowncake

Never hurts to have the another opinion so thank you :)   I ended up buying 4 2 tb Red drives so I guess I'll find out if I'll get a performance bump of any kind.  If it's noticeable, I may phase out the Green drives but since the case I have has plenty of expansion slots it doesn't really hurt anything to have them there.  Wish I would have done the research back when I was buying them though haha.

ikon

I hope it was clear but , if not, I want to make it clear that I absolutely value ITTOG and his posts. I'm sure he knows I was yanking his chain.

upsidedowncake

That's definitely the way I took the exchange.  Seemed in good fun.

ikon

You got it.

pcdoc

Late to the game here, but the speeds you are getting are no where near being normal and it is probably more than just the drive types.  The speeds you are getting would be slow even old sata 1 drives.  You may actually have a bad drive bring your speed down.  The array will slow down if one of the drives is flaking on you.  Just my two cents.  That said, I agree that the reds are a better choice.

ikon

Thanks pcdoc. I was thinking the same but wasn't 100% certain.

upsidedowncake

Thanks pcdoc.  I'm wondering if there is a way to know which drive if any are going bad?  All of the SMART data is coming back normal and ok, and I've heard running a chkdsk on an array is bad news.  When the Red drives get here, I'll set them up in a separate Raid array and run some tests on the performance between the two.  Then if all seems well with the 'Red' array I can break the 'Green' array and start to diagnose hopefully.  

ikon

1. S.M.A.R.T. is one of the greatest oxymorons of all time. It was designed by a committee and it looks as much like a good drive monitoring tool as the proverbial giraffe looks like a horse.

2. one tool I use to check and maintain drives is SpinRite. I never put a drive into production until it has been run through SpinRite on Level 4. If I have a drive that I'm not sure about, such as your situation, I use SpinRite to test the drives. It's not free, and there is no Trial Version, but I use it all the time, so it's turned out to be some of the cheapest software I've ever bought.

upsidedowncake

Thanks for the suggestion.  I just looked it up and am hesitant to drop the $90 for software, although if I use it enough I could see it being worth it.  Does anyone know of any alternatives that can test drives before putting them in to production?  I'd like to run the tests on these drives when they come so I don't spin my wheels further.  It looks like SpinRite is also a recovery tool?

Or perhaps the better question would be, what other steps do people take when they first get a drive to determine it's working properly or to test a drive if they suspect a failure?

Edited by upsidedowncake