RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
upsidedowncake

Read/Write Speeds RocketRaid 2720SGL

upsidedowncake

I have a RAID 5 array set up using 4 x 2TB Western Digital Green drives, the WD20EARX Sata 3 drives. I have noticed that the write speeds to the array, when transferring files from other disks inside my server, are anywhere from 15 MB/s to 35 MB/s, usually on the lower end of that spectrum. The drives are plugged in to a backplane in my Norco 4220 case and then an SAS cable is plugged in to the RocketRaid. I am just wondering if these are normal write speeds, if the WD Green drives are slowing them down, or if anyone else had seen similar speeds?

Just as a reference, I have another drive plugged in to the other port on my RocketRaid and the write speeds seem fine, much faster than to the array. I had previously had the setting for Cache set as Write Through, but switched it to Write Back which has helped a little bit. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Drashna Jaelre

To be blunt, I'm not surprised with those drives...My experience with WD GP drives is horribly slow performance.  Probably part of why they're not recommended for RAID.  And IIRC, there is some feature they're missing for "good" RAID performance.

upsidedowncake

Ahh, I was worried about that.  Recently I've been reading about others having issues as well, some not even getting the RAID to initialize so I guess I'm lucky.  I thought the SATA III would have solid performance, but apparently there are other issues at hand.  Do you recommend a specific drive for RAID?  I have always had success with WD drives.  Also, I only have 4 drives currently, and 20 hot swap bays to fill, so as I increase storage, do you recommend going to a different drive and eventually replacing these?  I've read about issues mixing drive types in a hardware raid, so I'm curious that if now I should just cut my losses.  Thanks for your help.

Drashna Jaelre

I'm not as familiar with RAID, but IIRC, if you want to stay with WD, the Red and the Black drives would be best.

jmwills

For your application, the Red Drives will more than suffice.

ikon

Red drives are the ones WD recommends for SOHO RAID applications.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I would recommend anything but WD. In fact, some users on here have shown seagates, which I use, are faster.

ikon

upsidedowncake, you have to understand, ITTOG is our resident black sheep. He goes against the grain just to go against the grain :D <j/k>

upsidedowncake

Appreciate everyone's response, looks like Red drives it may be.  The only experience I have with Seagate didn't go over too well, and I've honestly never had a problem with WD drives (knock on wood).  In fact, I have an 8 year old WD drive that just keeps plugging along with no end in sight (watch it fails tonight).  I'll do some comparative shopping with Seagate's but Newegg is running a special on Red drives, so might just be sticking with that.  I can leave my Array of Green Drives in place as another backup or something rather than just getting rid of them.  Thanks again!

ImTheTypeOfGuy
upsidedowncake, you have to understand, ITTOG is our resident black sheep. He goes against the grain just to go against the grain :D

There is some truth to that.