RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

$44.99 Windows Home Server 2011

ikon

It's almost rediculous, isn't it JM? You get a server OS for less than a Windows desktop OS. :blink:

• Like 1

ImTheTypeOfGuy
It's almost rediculous, isn't it JM? You get a server OS for less than a Windows desktop OS. :blink:

Yes it is. That is way too high for that castrated product. Put that on s2012 and I will buy multiple copies.

Shane

I have just purchased the WHS product from Harris Technolgies for $62.05, why the five cents I doin't know.

I was concerned upon receiving it that the product is for OEM installation

Is this how the product is normally sold ?

Do I just not use the System builder disc ?

Any help to clear this up would be greatly appreciated.

ikon

Why are you concerned that it's OEM?

Shane

Oh OK, I thought I was supposed to be concerned .... I was under the impression that OEM software was only allowed when being supplied with a built machine

If they are all the same that is great but I thought there may have been a standalone version and an OEM version and that they had sent me the incorrect one.

So when I load it I just disregard the second disc

ikon

Technically, OEM versions are supposed to be supplied with hardware, but it's a bit of a gray area. Often companies will sell you some small piece of hardware along with the software to make it 'legal'. However, over the years, the rules have kinda slipped and slipped to the point where you can just buy OEM software by itself.

When I buy OEM software, I also buy a piece of hardware, usually one I can use anyway, whether the vendor demands it or not.

Shane

Thanks, that makes sense.

jmwills

Usually, the folks at NewEgg will throw in some piece of equipment for free to meet the spirit of the law.