RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Adding storage raid to already setup microserver

guru_fordy

Hi guys,

I've been googling all day and can't find my answer so I'm posting in the hope that someone can help!

I got a N40L 6 months ago and have set up the OS on a speedy SSD with the original 250gb drive being used as temporary storage. Now I've purchased 2 x 2tb WD Red drives that I want to set up in RAID 1 as a replacement for the old 250gb.

So if I've installed on my SSD under AHCI mode, how to I setup a RAID now without nobbling the OS install?

Thanks in advance!

One question: have you flashed the N40L with the modified BIOS? My understanding is that it makes the system unbootable when the SATA is set to RAID.

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Certainly it is possible to have an SSD and a RAID1 in a single system. For example, you could have 3 drives in a system, an SSD and 2 HDDs. You could install the OS on the SSD and then use Windows to mirror the 2 HDDs.

You could also have an SSD connected to a SATA port on the motherboard and 2 HDDs connected to a RAID card like a RR2720. You could again install the OS on the SSD and use the RAID card to set up a RAID1 array.

It should also be possible to attach an SSD and 2 HDDs to a RR2720 card. This might get a little more tricky as far as bootup order is concerned, but it again should be possible to install the OS on the SSD and RAID1 the 2 HDDs.

Is that what you're after?

To be honest I don't really want to expand my system any further. What I would like is to have my SSD set up to be my OS drive with my two new drives using hardware RAID 1 off the mobo.But seeing as I am using the hacked BIOS I can't use RAID now can I?

Might it be easier to go with a software RAID like FlexRaid lol? I don't want to impact performance though :(