RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System drive failure!! :(

stalni

My system drive failed, I am was running my homebuild/FrakenBuild WHS on a WD RE2 400 GB, but after a couple of power failures it finally gave up on me:( It powers up, but makes a beep sound and is not detected by windows (don't remember BIOS), I think that it must be one or more of the heads hitting the platter every half rotation.

but back to restoration of my WHS:
I was planing to install hyper-v server 2008 on a new WD 500 GB I have bought as a replacement.

I am hoping to restore backups (not that I have anything I know I need in my backups), but have not used BDBB as I did not have enough room, had ordered a 1,5 TB to resolve this issue but that is to late now.

Took a listen to homeservershow 39 about OS drive failure, but doesn't sound to good.

If you have any pointers as to restore if I can get the data off my "dead" drive it would be much appreciated.

My current setup is:
GA-MA74GM-S2H
400 W Plazir PSU(fan is now noisy, have not investigated further yet, just planing to replace fan)
10 HDD:
1 TB x 4
750 GB x 1
400 RE2 x2 (one dead now, my system drive)
500 GB x1
1,5 TB (recently bought, to solve my storage problems)
250 GB 2,5" laptop drive

AMD ahtlon 64x2 5000+ brisbane
2x1 GB RAM (pc-6400 G-skill)
cabinet medion micro-ATX(something I found, an managed to squeeze 10 HDD into and some fans).

Do you have an external enclosure? I'd probably try and restore them on another computer.

I would see if you can clone the drive using WD version of Acronis.

Full system drive cloning article can be found at http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6826

Try this URL first http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01/17/forum-spotlight-how-to-successfully-clone-and-upgrade-a-whs-system-drive/

I did this to replace a failing system drive in Febuary. It works.

Ethan

One more item. These days with new drives the falure is rarely a true head crash. It is most often a bearing that is giving out.

OK thanks, will read the mediasmartserver.net articles.

No I only run internal drives, but have my main production system I can run different restore operations from. my drives are running from an sb710 with 6 SATA2 connections and a add-in pci Raid card with 4 SATA1 connections.

do you have any worries in regard to running the WHS in a VM, I was thinking if for example a sector got corrupted or the VHD had an error? This is not something I am experiencing I was just curious as I was thinking of running my server as a hyper-v server.

I have played with running WHS as a VM. But I never gave it any serious thought for a production system.

I don't think I would want to run WHS as a VM service. Some things are best left seperate. :)

The hardware RAID would be fine for the VM container. I don't know what the check integrity comand is for the containr.

I have never been happy with running hardware RAID on a sytem drive in Windows Server 2003. It is not a smooth as it is in Solaris UNIX.

I know it is much better in Windows 2008. But I am going to wait for VAIL for my WHS. I would like to have a dedicated Windows 2008 box for some systems work. But I realy don't think I would put WHS as a VM service on the box.

Check out the article on replacing your system drive it works and you will be back up and running in no time.

Regards

Ethan

Thanks, Ethan

I have looked at the article it looks great,

The raid option is so I don't end up like this again (I hope), which is why I was going to set the system raid up on my add-in card(ST Lab A 224, silicon image controller), as my brother has an identical RAID card.

Do you have any suggestions?

My system drive does not spin up now at all, so RMA is all I can do.

Does anyone else have experience with raid 1 on WHS/server 2003, and if so what thoughts you had before or after?

thanks again for your replies.

Let me predicate this by saying I have done this in Windows Server 2003 at the hardware level and I have tested it on an early test build of my DIY WHS. I made a choice of not using RAID on my system drive in WHS, most drives give you plenty of warning about failure. I have had to replace my system drive on my WHS because of impending failure reported by SMART and some sector errors. This is my opinion that I am not a big fan of RAID with in Windows Server 2003. I like the way it behaves in Windows Server 2008.

My experience is that you must set it up as hardware RAID 1. WHS cannot detect that the RAID is present or you will get an error from the server on install. RAID 1 at the hardware level can be intensive for buffering the data, I like a fast board motherboard and CPU, and I used an EVGA 780i to test the setup. With RAID 1 you need two identical drives. I would recommend two smaller size drives such as the Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB, this drive is fast and should not get bogged down in the mirroring. If you want to cut cost use a one of the smaller Caviar Black drives but again I would keep the size small.

The thing with RAID is make sure you understand how to do the repair drive mirroring function or the disable of the RAID to replace the drive. This is good to practice before you need it. Know how to get into the BIOS to setup the RAID, Repair the RAID and disable one of the disks in the RAID. You can just take one of the drives out and reformate it then put it back into the RAID to see how things go.