RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2012 incremental backups of shares?

TommySharp

Hi guys, anyone got some good suggestions for software that will let me do standard file based backups of my shares to another NAS? Main criteria would probably be daily full backups but only store changed or new files and use some sort of hard links for files that have not changed.... Hopefully save some space this way....

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Not completely sure what you want to do, but I think you could use Windows Server Backup to get your bare-metal-restorable OS backup and select your NAS as the destination. You could include all the data as well but then you would have to use the Server Backup program to get at your files.

Other ways you could get data over to your NAS include my fave, Scheduled RoboCopy Tasks, as well as CrashPlan, & SyncToy; there are others too.

Thanks guys, I'm currently using Allway Sync which is great but only gives me a duplicate of all my files. I want to protect myself from file deletes etc so that is why I'm looking for something more incremental. Don't really need to backup the server OS though.

I need it to be readable by any other computer.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Ah. You're looking for file versioning, basically. I thought WSE2012 has it built in, as part of System Protection. IIRC, it will make a Restore Point once or twice a day (can't remember for sure), which will archive the current version of your files.

Syncback is a really good backup program. Don't let the name fool you. Great for backing up over a network as well as locally. The free version will be more than adequate.

Ikon, I'd like the backups to be stored off the server...

Syncbac sounds similar to my AllwaySync that just synchronizes two locations. However I need some sort of versioning so I'm protected from deletes, viruses and corruption....

Joem, forgive me..... Looks like there is a lot more to Syncback than I thought...... Will look into it....