RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Routers - little glitches

dvn

Who has a router that needs to be rebooted/reset periodically because it has stopped working properly, in some way or another? The wireless component on my Netgear WNR3500 quit again today. Seems to do this every 3 months or so.

Also, it seems that most every router I've ever owned tweaks out like this every so often and has to be rebooted/reset which is not big deal, just inconvenient.

So what do you think/know? Is this just the way it is with most routers? All routers?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• steveowens

• pcdoc

The routers that I have owned have been stable for the most part and have been a "set it up and forget it" experience. But I can only speak from the experience of the few routers I have owned - an old Linksys 4 port not wireless (don't remember the model), a Linksys Wireless G (WRT54G), and my current router a D-Link Wireless N router (DIR-655). I just looked at the D-Link screen and it has been up 86 Days 9 Hours 06 Mins. The list time it was down was for a firmware update.

I don't know if the internet connection matters, but I am on a Comcast cable modem.

Steve

@steve - Neither internet connection nor DSL modem are in play on this current problem. My housemates lose wireless connection to the router. That is, they don't see the wireless network. My PC, which is wired, experiences no problems surfing.

Earlier this afternoon, I simply power-cycled the router. But wireless went down again this evening. So this time, I went into the interface, hit the 'Apply' button on one of the pages, and wireless came back up.

Nice blog, btw. Looks like you've been involved in home theater for some time. Have you ever checked out the 'Gyration' remote? jvk mentions it in one of his posts. I was thinking of buying one and was wondering if you've ever had a chance to try it.

I've had previous routes that did that. It was a Netgear, actually. Haven't had any such problems with my Dlink.

I echo usacomp2k3 on the Netgear. At my office we have Linksys G router that we never reboot and a Netgear G router that we reboot about once a month. I would say it is the gear.

dvn... have not tried the Gyration for a HTPC. I love the Home Theater Master remotes and the Harmony One for my Media Center PCs and Extenders. With the wife and kids at home a mouse and keyboard is not going to cut it, it has to be one remote. I do get by with the iPhone and the Air Mouse software in a pinch when I need a mouse and keyboard.

Steve

It's quite possible the problem is limited to one manufacturer. I've owned Linksys, Netgear, and D-link routers and can't really say which ones were problematic because I just dealt with it. But it's a nuisance for my housemates who aren't tech savvy, though I'm teaching them when the opportunity arises.

Regarding the remote: About a year ago, I picked up a diNovo Edge. It's a beautiful, rock-solid keyboard with built-in touchpad, but the whole remote + diNovo thing is a bit cumbersome after all. After jvk's mention, and reading about it, I thought the Gyration Air Music Remote might be the thing to whittle this down to one controller. Maybe I should just take the plunge and buy it.

I have had issues with Linksys routers in the past, having issues with the wireless and would cause a reboot every now and then. No issues at all with my D-link gaming router, I love that thing. I had a netgear in my parents attic for 4 years and that was some extreme heat. It never failed once, which surprised the heck out of me.

Those are usually passively cooled with vents in them. Maybe You should try blowing it out. It is possible that it is overheating due to dust buildup. Is your firmware up to date in it????

@shollz - Interesting how you can abuse a router and it performs like aces, eh? And that was a Netgear. So, the firmware is current. There's no dust problem. I blew it out anyways, but didn't see any dust. Looks like Linksys (some models, anyways) is another router that needs a periodic reboot. Maybe I'll just proactively reboot mine every month. I'll add it to my Google calendar. There, done. Let's see if that solves it.

Having gone through Linksys (twice), netgear, Belkin, and D-Link, the only one that has NOT given me problems is my D-Link DIR-655 which is to date the best router I ever owned. I never have to reboot unless there is firmware update or I make changes that require it. Do yourself a favor and look for deal on one and will not be dissapointed.