RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Running other software on HS with WHS2001

Shane

Hi Folks

Have just purchased a Proliant N54L and will be loading WHS2001 when it arrives.

The primary purpose of the server is to backup our home computers and have one location for movie and music files, nothing too taxing for the system.

We have software that I run on one of the desktops to monitor power generation from the solar panels (Aurora) and would also like to run some other power utilisation software too. Is it possible to run this software directly on the WHS machine ? or would I need to set up a VM ?

If anyone has something like this operating I would be really greatful to hear from you.

Could not find any topic links to this situation but if I missed any I appologise.

Shane

Sydney, Australia

Conceptually, I see no problem running the software. You'll have to try it to find out if it's compatible but, other than that, it should be fine. I run an email server on my WHS2011 without problems. I would upgrade the RAM to 8GB though.

I have found that most W7 software will run on WHS2011, eg my UPS management software ran on the server as did Synctoy and a few other apps like AnyDVD etc

Gee, that is great news, thanks to everyone for your comments.

The thought of setting up a virtual machine was not enticing.

So it is just a case of installing the software on the WHS2012 machine as per a usual software install on my Windows 7 machine ?

Can not wait to get into it.

Equipment should arrive soon.

N56L, 2 x 2T Drives and 8GB of RAM

Just trying to work out what to use as the OS hard drive,

SSD would be nice but they are a little expensive, especially when you consider a 2TB Hard disc is less than $100

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Have a look at what 250GB drives are in your area. They're more than big enough, and are about the smallest spinning drive you can get these days.