RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System Recovery Options

jamepc

Well I selected Safe Mode but it froze at Loading Windows Files, then restarted and went right back to the System Recovery Window.

I also booted from the WHS2011 disk but the only options were Full System Restore 32 bit and Full System Restore 64bit. Will this repair the OS or completely wipe it and start over?

I've also read that a Windows 7 disk can be booted from to fit the startup/boot files. Is this accurate?

Thanks for any more ideas!

The system boots into the System Recovery Options. One of the options is a command prompt where I was able to run chkdsk /r. I ran it on all the volumes and it found and fixed system errors on D. I had to select Unmount Drive for chkdsk to run. It now boots up normally.

Thanks everybody for all the help!

Edited by jamepc

YES! Isn't there something in the WHS2011 Dashboard where I can select server backup? Or is that something different? Does Server Backup backup the client computer backups and the Shared Folders? My shared folders are also backed up nightly off site.

What's the easiest method of backing up the OS?

Server Backup can back up as much or little of the server as you like. I use it to back up only the OS, enough that I can boot from a WHS2011 Install DVD and recover the backup to a blank hard drive if necessary. I don't back up any of the data, not even the Client Computer Backups. This ensures that the backup is small & lean and can be recovered quickly. My data is on other drives. An OS recovery does not affect my data at all.

Here's a link to my server config: http://homeserversho..._140#entry47628

And here's a link to my data backup procedure: http://homeserversho...1373#entry51373

If you look at the photo, you will see a bare hard drive in a Drive Dock, to the left of the server (the small fan is pointing at it). That is my server OS backup. It's simply connected via USB2 to the server. It doesn't need more because the backup isn't that big. Server Backup runs once a day in the wee hours of the morning.

I only post those links to give you an idea of what can be done. It's what works for me. You have to decide what's best for you and your server and data.

To directly answer your question, Yes, once the Server Backup Schedule is set up, the server should show up in the DashBoard along with the Client PC's. You configure the backup just like a Client PC, and you can run a manual backup by right-clicking the server's icon, just like Client PC's.

• 3 months later...

YES! Isn't there something in the WHS2011 Dashboard where I can select server backup? Or is that something different? Does Server Backup backup the client computer backups and the Shared Folders? My shared folders are also backed up nightly off site.

What's the easiest method of backing up the OS?

It all depends on what you selected in the config wizard to be backed up.