RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System Recovery Options

jamepc

Hello,

Today our WHS2011 server lost connection. When I rebooted it, it took me to a System Recovery Options window. Can anyone help point me in the right direction on what I should do now?

Thank you!

BTW...This happened while my wife was on the phone with QuickBooks tech support. I believe they had control of the client computer and were making changes to the Quickbooks file that's located on the server. One thing they did was rest the client computers system clock to 12/31/12 so they could fix some tax formulas. The the server lost connection and tech support could finish.

Probably not related but thought I'd tell you

Actually, it could very well be related. Windows Server can get pretty upset if the time difference between it and its clients is off by more than 2 minutes.

Now, I do have 1 qualm. I know the time difference is problematic for servers in a Domain. I'm just not so sure it's that much of an issue with standalone servers like WHS2011.

Have you tried disconnecting your wife's client computer from the network and then rebooting the WHS2011 box?

Thanks for the replies.

ikon, I disconnected the server from the network and the WHS box still boots to the System Recovery window.

jmwills, Sorry I wasn't clear. I rebooted both the client and the server, the server is what goes to the System Recovery window. There's no option to ignore it. I can select System Image Recovery, Memory Diagnostic or Command Prompt. There's no System Image to recover to. I can also select Shut Down or Restart.

Have you tried booting from a WHS2011 install DVD and seeing if it will offer the option to Repair the installation?

BTW (and I'm really, really not trying to say I told you so; honest), but this might be a really good time to look into setting up a daily OS backup routine. I just set one up for a relative's business and it's really easy. I only back up the OS drive; none of the data. I have a hard drive in a USB Thermaltake Max 5G external enclosure. Every night, the system backs up just the OS to the Max 5G. I have tested restoring from the backup and it works beautifully.

Reboot the server and hit F8 and see if it allows you to get into Safe Mode. If so, continue the reboot process and then reboot again. You should be good to go from there.

Reboot the server and hit F8 and see if it allows you to get into Safe Mode. If so, continue the reboot process and then reboot again. You should be good to go from there.

Ahhhh, the old 'boot into Safe Mode, exit, and reboot into Normal Mode'. Haven't done that one in a while. It was always weird how it would apparently fix things without you having to actually do anything while in Safe Mode; didn't have to run any diagnostics, utilities, or anything; just reboot :D