RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
upsidedowncake

RocketRaid 2720SGL No Longer Detected

upsidedowncake

I bought a RocketRaid 2720SGL and plugged in my drives with no issues, set up a raid 5 and had everything running smoothly. I also updated the bios to 1.5 via the website and everything was kosher. I then ran windows update as this was a new install, and had to reboot as part of that. As soon as the server came back up, the RocketRaid is gone. It isn't listed in Device Manager, the drives aren't in Disk Management, nothing. I also can't use the Web GUI as it won't connect, I'm assuming because it thinks there is no controller installed. Any help? Thanks in advance if someone can figure this out!

Michael Brown

I bought a RocketRaid 2720SGL and plugged in my drives with no issues, set up a raid 5 and had everything running smoothly. I also updated the bios to 1.5 via the website and everything was kosher. I then ran windows update as this was a new install, and had to reboot as part of that. As soon as the server came back up, the RocketRaid is gone. It isn't listed in Device Manager, the drives aren't in Disk Management, nothing. I also can't use the Web GUI as it won't connect, I'm assuming because it thinks there is no controller installed. Any help? Thanks in advance if someone can figure this out!

Try re-seating the card.

upsidedowncake

Well I'm thoroughly embarrassed :-) Can you tell me if I am going to have to do that every time I reboot, or if I need to do something in the Web GUI before I shut down/reboot? Thanks for your reply!

ikon

Most likely the card had come part way out of the connector and wasn't making full contact. It would be extremely unlikely that you would have to re-seat it every time you reboot but, just to be sure, why don't you reboot a bunch of times and test it for yourself?

upsidedowncake

Just did a restart and array came back fine, so to your point must have just been a fluke.

ikon

Good to hear. And, now you have another piece of knowledge to call on if something similar should happen in future, or to pass on to someone else :)

upsidedowncake

Agreed, this forum has all ready been exceptionally worthwhile! Just had a strange thing happen with the RAID again. The RAID disappeared as well as the other drive I have plugged in, but the controller was still shown in the device manager. I went in to the Web GUI and it said the drives were legacy, disabled, then when I rescanned they went away all together. I'm restarting now to see if that does anything, but have you ever heard of that happening?

ikon

Not myself. pcdoc is the real RR guy in these forums. Hopefully, he will chime in soon. One thing I can suggest is to try the RR in another slot, if one is available.

upsidedowncake

Okay great. After my reboot the card wasn't detected at all so I just opened it back up and moved it to another PCI slot, hopefully that helps. The graphics card had been in that slot and was working fine so if it still becomes a issue it may be the RAID card itself.

ikon

It's a possibility, and a good way to test.