RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
bondisdead

Losing web-page access to RocketRAID during Array Verify

bondisdead

I have a Highpoint RocketRaid 2720SGL card with eight 2TB drives configured in RAID5. The WHS-2011 system has been working fine the last 1-1/2 years. I am noticing that when I initiate a Maintenance -> Verify, when the process is near completing, I lose the web-page connection to the card. I am not able to connect to the card again, unless I reboot the server. Could this be that one of the drives is bad, or perhaps heat issues that others on this forum have pointed out? I don't find it all that hot to the touch.

ikon

It does sound like you might be having some issue with 1 or more drives, but it could, as you imply, be the card itself. One thing to try is to open the case and put some extra fan cooling on the RR card in particular. However, when checking for heat issues, don't forget the drives themselves.

bondisdead

Turns out it looks like one of the drives was indeed bad, or had issues with the card. I removed the most recently added drive, put in a different one, then rebuilt. The RocketRAID web-page has been stable ever since (last week). In addition, the WHS 2011 server backups have not been solid. They were failing after reaching completion.

ikon

Thanks for posting back; it's good to have closure on threads. BTW, are the server backups OK now? It wasn't quite clear.

bondisdead

The backups are a weird thing. I have a 2TB plugged into a hot-swap bay in my case. Everyday the WHS 2011 runs the server backup, putting the results on that 2TB drive. The data being backed up is *not* on the RocketRAID array. However, every once in a while, I get a backup failed with very little information. Tracking down the log files, it gives a message about a mount and file that are not accessable until the next reboot. The backup runs to 100% completion, then the error message pops up. I have seen identical errors reported over on the Microsoft forums for WHS 2011. I used to get the problem all the time when I used an external USB 3.0 drive. The error would pop up on alternating backups.

Anyways, after swapping a suspect HDD with another a few weeks back, I would get the backup failed errors again. This was in addition to the Verify operation locking up as indicated in the first post of this thread. It's strange that the array is not involved in the backup operation at all. All I can guess is that windows somehow sees the error in the array, and it mucks up the backup. Oh well, I guess it tells me if I have problems in the future with backups failing, I might have a bad drive.

ikon

If it's only failing occasionally, it might be tolerable. BTW, I can't recall, did you say you've tried a Restore of the server OS?

• Like 1

bondisdead

If it's only failing occasionally, it might be tolerable. BTW, I can't recall, did you say you've tried a Restore of the server OS?

Since swapping out that drive, the backup has yet to fail. Plus it take only 20-minutes to complete, while sometimes it can take 4-6 hours!

I have not had to do a server OS restore, knock on wood...

ikon

Glad to hear the backup is working so well now. Now, my humble statement is, "Yes, you have had to do a Restore because, if you haven't done one, you don't know if it will work."

Please, do yourself a favour; shut down your server, install a spare drive in place of the OS drive, and do an OS Recovery. I can't stress how important this is. You have no idea how many times over the years people have expressed shock that their server backup failed to Restore successfully.

About 25 years ago, I came up with a phrase to cover this: An Untested Backup Isn't A Backup At All.

• Like 1

bondisdead

Good recommendation! I have indeed tested client restores, but not a server backup instead. I will give this a shot over the weekend.

ikon

Look forward to reading the results.