RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Unguided

New Here. A few questions.

jmwills

Any Intel NIC will work with ESXi. You can manage any ESXi client from a web browser but VCenter allows you to control multiple machines from one console.

Unguided

Coke, no rebounds :D

Bare metal restore means you can restore a client PC's backup to a brand new drive and then boot the system. It's a form is disaster recovery, but for client PC's instead of the server.

Unfortunately, cloud backup wouldn't work for me, due to bandwidth caps.

I think you are right. Dont know how I missed that. Guess that throws that out the window (no pun intenended).

Joe_Miner

You can do Virtualization with or without the BIOS-MOD -- ESXi and Hyper-V Links are in here http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3506-more-interesting-microserver-links/#entry35009

– SBS Diva has referred to the MicroServer as a Play-Box for Hyper-V http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2012/10/26/play-box-for-hyperv.aspx

With 8GB RAM I’ve loaded up to 3 VM’s with no trouble and with 16GB I’ve gone up to 8VM’s but I could have loaded more but then another project came up. When I was testing WHS2011 early on I ran it in a VM on the MicroServer and passed 3TB HDD’s SATA Ports thru Hyper-V directly to the WHS2011 OS that used them as data drives.

IMHO, With Hyper-V you’re going to want a FAST Host OS drive – I use a SSD –and a FAST as you can afford VM drive – to keep you VM OS’s VHD’s separate from the Host OS drive (that’s a Best Practice). In the MicroServer I’ve used either a 1TB or 2TB WD Black HDD’s that I had available – I even used the stock 250GB as the Host OS drive and another 250GB drive as a VM drive and it actually wasn’t that bad and was certainly doable. For awhile I even used a WD Green drive as my VM drive -- while slower it worked OK and was better than nothing :) If you can afford a WD Raptor that would be Nice too but my CFO hasn’t approved that yet so I have no info on performace comparisons :)

I know JazerJay and other’s on the Forums have run ESXi on the MicroServer.

ikon

I think you are right. Dont know how I missed that. Guess that throws that out the window (no pun intenended).

Bare metal client restores is a big strength of WHS. Ir works very well. And, on top of that, the backup engine does Single Instance Storage, which is a big disk space saver.

Unguided

You can do Virtualization with or without the BIOS-MOD -- ESXi and Hyper-V Links are in here http://homeserversho...nks/#entry35009

– SBS Diva has referred to the MicroServer as a Play-Box for Hyper-V http://msmvps.com/bl...for-hyperv.aspx

With 8GB RAM I’ve loaded up to 3 VM’s with no trouble and with 16GB I’ve gone up to 8VM’s but I could have loaded more but then another project came up. When I was testing WHS2011 early on I ran it in a VM on the MicroServer and passed 3TB HDD’s SATA Ports thru Hyper-V directly to the WHS2011 OS that used them as data drives.

IMHO, With Hyper-V you’re going to want a FAST Host OS drive – I use a SSD –and a FAST as you can afford VM drive – to keep you VM OS’s VHD’s separate from the Host OS drive (that’s a Best Practice). In the MicroServer I’ve used either a 1TB or 2TB WD Black HDD’s that I had available – I even used the stock 250GB as the Host OS drive and another 250GB drive as a VM drive and it actually wasn’t that bad and was certainly doable. For awhile I even used a WD Green drive as my VM drive -- while slower it worked OK and was better than nothing :) If you can afford a WD Raptor that would be Nice too but my CFO hasn’t approved that yet so I have no info on performace comparisons :)

I know JazerJay and other’s on the Forums have run ESXi on the MicroServer.

Thanks for the information. I will look into it further