RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Unguided

New Here. A few questions.

Unguided

Hello all and thanks for reading my post. As the title says I am new here. Im expecting my N40L today. So, I have a few questions. I was wondering if the unofficial bios allows for virtualization. I saw some posts referring to it but I am not sure if it allows for pci passthrough etc? Also, I realize that most users in these forums are using mostly windows based operating systems. After, MS pulled the plug on drive extender, I left the WHS market even though I loved the product. I have found this OS through lots of searching but ironically found it by accident. Its ubuntu based and is officially supported by canonical. Its called zentyal. I was just wondering if anybody has tried it and what their thoughr are on it. For those interested, I have included two links. The first, is the link to the homepage and the second is to installation documentation which includes system requirements. Please keep in mind that I have been a long time windows user but this software says it is a small business server replacment. I noticed some are going to windows server 2012 essentials and I am trying ot decide which Os to use. Thanks for the responses in advance.

Here are the links:

http://www.zentyal.org/

http://doc.zentyal.org/en/installation.html#hardware-requirements

The requirements are toward the bottom

Edited by Unguided

jmwills

Hello and welcome. As far as moving on to 2012E, I would ask why? WHS2011 is still available and will be supported for a number of years to come. The SBS community is very vocal about their product and I cannot see any Linux based product taking away their market share.

The product you mention, to my knowledge, has not been mentioned here before and you said you found it quite by accident so that should tell you something about it's market penetration.

Unguided

I would tend to agree but not being a linux guru by any means and not exactly knowing what I was looking for was how I came to find it. However, I have seen quite a few articles about it recently. Currently, I do not own WHS2011 and really have not replaced my WHS v1 box. Dont get me wrong Im not a MS hater. Quite the contrary. I just thought someone would be interested and could give their opinions, and I appreciate yours. Do you happen to klnow ahything about the virtualization side of the bios if any?

ikon

Welcome Unguided. I've never heard of Zentyal either. I had a quick look at the website. What I couldn't find in the brief time I looked was any reference to bare metal client restoration. That's a #1 must-have for me.

jmwills

I think Joe Miner will check in on this, but I do not run any VM's on mine but he does, mostly on the Hyper-V platform. With RAM being crucial, the key is spinning up one VM at a time and let it stabilize before starting another.

One project I want to work on is ESXi on the N40L but an acceptable NIC will be the key as ESXi is very hardware restrictive.

ikon

Do you happen to know ahything about the virtualization side of the bios if any?

Search these forums for posts by Joe_Miner. I believe he has done quite a bit of virtualization, particularly with HyperV. Check his signature.

Unguided

Welcome Unguided. I've never heard of Zentyal either. I had a quick look at the website. What I couldn't find in the brief time I looked was any reference to bare metal client restoration. That's a #1 must-have for me.

The bare metal restoration, as I understand it, is free and in the zentyal cloud. You reinstall, log in with credentials and all the configuration files are replaced. I think thats what you meant by bare metal restoration. I hope.

Edited by Unguided

ikon

I think Joe Miner will check in on this, but I do not run any VM's on mine but he does, mostly on the Hyper-V platform. With RAM being crucial, the key is spinning up one VM at a time and let it stabilize before starting another.

One project I want to work on is ESXi on the N40L but an acceptable NIC will be the key as ESXi is very hardware restrictive.

Coke, no rebounds :D

The bare metal restoration, as I understand it, is free and in the zentyal cloud. You reinstall, log in with credentials and all the configuration files are replaced. I think thats what you meant by bare metal restoration. I hope.

Bare metal restore means you can restore a client PC's backup to a brand new drive and then boot the system. It's a form is disaster recovery, but for client PC's instead of the server.

Unfortunately, cloud backup wouldn't work for me, due to bandwidth caps.

jmwills

WHS does all of its restorations on the local LAN level. It is amazing and does what it was supposed to do.

Unguided

There naming scheme is so confusing. Wasnt ESXi replaced with vsphere? I believe they have a webpage for both officially and community compatible hardware. I just cant remember it off the top of my head. Another software you may want to look at is proxmox. Its the same principal just doesnt need the agent to manage the vm's it uses a web browser. Also, from what little experience I have with open source, I have found that pretty much any intell nic shoulld just work multi port or not. BTW, Thanks to all for the welcome