RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Data Management Plan

USCMitch

Hi all-

I just recently completed set-up on my homeserver running WHS 2011. This server will primarily act as a media server with back-up of two family laptops as a secondary purpose.

I've been going over and over how best to store my data. Below is what I've come up with. Please freely offer any criticisms, suggestions, etc.

Drives Currently Installed:

C: (OS) 60 GB

D: (Partition Drive) app. 440 GB

F: (Data) 2TB

G: (Data2) 2TB

My plan is to have the clients backup to the partition drive D: and to pool the F: and G: drives for media storage with folder duplication in the pool (will be using Stablebit Drivepool)

I will then have two 2TB external HDs for server back up.

Will this work? Does it make sense? Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance.

Mitch

Sounds pretty good so far. I am wondering what your plans are for offsite backup.

That makes two of us.... :D

In the short term, I may store the external server backup at work as it's pretty secure and simply swap them out on a rotational basis. Long term, I'd probably want something different. I'm still very new to this server thins so am very open to suggestions.

Edited by USCMitch

Guest no-control

Hi all-

I just recently completed set-up on my homeserver running WHS 2011. This server will primarily act as a media server with back-up of two family laptops as a secondary purpose.

I've been going over and over how best to store my data. Below is what I've come up with. Please freely offer any criticisms, suggestions, etc.

Drives Currently Installed:

C: (OS) 60 GB

D: (Partition Drive) app. 440 GB

F: (Data) 2TB

G: (Data2) 2TB

My plan is to have the clients backup to the partition drive D: and to pool the F: and G: drives for media storage with folder duplication in the pool (will be using Stablebit Drivepool)

I will then have two 2TB external HDs for server back up.

Will this work? Does it make sense? Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance.

Mitch

Given the above information. Skip stablebit and just mirror the 2x 2TB drives using disk manager. Use 1 external drive to back up the C: & D: use the other to back up the mirror.

I'm posting links to my setup, for your reference:

My server setup: http://homeserversho..._140#entry47628

My backup process: http://homeserversho...1373#entry51373

Thanks, ikon!

Given the above information. Skip stablebit and just mirror the 2x 2TB drives using disk manager. Use 1 external drive to back up the C: & D: use the other to back up the mirror.

Thanks.

That definitely makes more sense in the near term, but would there be any advantage of one over the other (Stablebit vs. simple mirroring) with regard to future expansion?

Well, certainly DrivePool is made for expansion, whereas mirroring is really only designed to work with 2 drives. There are, of course, variations on mirroring that can incorporate more drives, but I have to say DrivePool is probably easier. That's my 2 cents.

-snip-

That definitely makes more sense in the near term, but would there be any advantage of one over the other (Stablebit vs. simple mirroring) with regard to future expansion?

Mirroring is quick and simple – and you can do it right now in Disk Manager. StableBit DrivePool will make expansion a lot easier and simpler in the future, offers a lot more flexibility IMHO. IMHO also, Combine DrivePool with StableBit’s Scanner and I think it will be a giant synergistic leap in the safety of your data – you can now set DrivePool to move data off-of a drive that Scanner has detected that is starting to fail AUTOMATICALLY. This is freaking cool! DrivePool with Scanner is what MicroSoft should have delivered with WHS-2011 when it was first released. Check out StableBit’s list of features for both – for that matter you can try em both for free for a month.

As for Speed – I actually saw slight speed advantages with DrivePool over individual drive or Mirrored Drives – I think I posted some tests in http://homeservershow.com/installing-windows-home-server-2011-on-a-ssd-in-a-hp-microserver-n40l.html