RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Extremely Slow Initial Backup

upsidedowncake

upsidedowncake

My C drive is only 70 GB or so and backed up in a few minutes actually. This time around though I added my F drive which is all of my data and it's 1.5 TB.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• upsidedowncake

• ikon

• jmwills

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

It's purely a vanilla machine right now, I haven't even put Kaspersky back on it.

You may have hit the nail right there. Some AV programs will want to inspect each and every file coming in and going out. Turn off the AV and compare results.

upsidedowncake

Interesting. I'll look in to that right when this backup completes. If that does turn out to be the issue, is there a way to have WHS added to a safe list or something or would I have to turn AV off every night?

I would think there would be a way to do that. We found this issue a few years ago at the Enterprise level with Backup and McAfee. McAfee was inspecting every single file and we finally found the work around.

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, A/V can cause that... even MSE. That and the checksum and offload settings on NICs tend to cause all sorts of problems too. I've seen them cause the connector installer to fail... The settings are supposed to help performance, but certain companies (that start with R or A) .... their implementation actually causes serious issue. Jumbo Frames, on the other hand... as long as all the hardware supports it, and properly...

upsidedowncake

I'll have to play around with it. I wonder though if I need to add connector or dashboard to a list of approved programs, if that would even help. A certain company starting with an R was the source of my network issues, before changing the cheksum and offload settings I was getting about 20-30 mb/s direct transfer, now it's up around 90. Do you recommend trying Jumbo Frames enabled and see what happens? What does it do exactly?

Update: I'm probably looking at 24 hours overall for the backup to complete, still a long time but seeing as I was looking at 7 days before I'll definitely take it. Have not gotten to the point of trying AV yet, as I'm running a Windows Backup as well to an internal drive. Not sure if I should be installing programs while that runs.

Jumbo Frames are an attempt to overcome one of the biggest bottlenecks to Ethernet traffic: overhead.

A typical Ethernet frame has a significant amount of overhead. The frame is broken down into many fields; things like source address, destination address, checksum, frame type, etc., etc. The payload (the actual data) only takes up some of the frame. With Jumbo Frames, the idea is to greatly increase the size of the Payload field and thereby significantly increase the throughput efficiency.

At the beginning of Ethernet, the frames were kept relatively small because the networks weren't particularly reliable. Many packets were lost or dropped or corrupted as they traveled to their destination. As technology improved over the years, and transmission reliability improved by leaps and bounds, some people thought it might be time to look at using larger packets. Thus, Jumbo Frames were born.

Unfortunately, not every manufacturer handles Jumbo Frames the same way. This leads to incompatibilities. At some point in the future, like so many new technologies, hopefully a common implementation will arise and we'll be able to mix and match equipment at will.

upsidedowncake

Thanks for the helpful info. This is weird, I installed Chrome and the backup started crawling, back to 1% an hour or so. Network utilization is at 0. I just uninstalled it and it's going back to normal. Chrome, Really?

upsidedowncake

Uninstalling didn't quite fix the issue. At this point I'm at 92% so it's okay to let it go, but any idea why the sudden drop in network connectivity?