• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

• upsidedowncake

So just a follow up, I've been diving in to this more. First off, I installed the RocketRaid card and wholeheartedly support that decision, it just works nicer than any software RAID's I tried. I am currently testing a file transfer though between my recently reinstalled pc and my recently reinstalled server software, and am noticing the bandwith isn't very fast. At first, I was testing an 80 GB transfer and it was running at about 10 MB/sec, incredibly slow. I found some updated drivers, and now am testing another 80 GB transfer and it started out at 50-60 MB/sec but has now leveled out at 18-19 MB/sec. Do you have any insight on why this might be the case? I have tried two different Cat5e cables all ready, but am wondering if this is also why my backups were so slow. Any help would be great, thanks.

What are the devices connected to: dedicated Ethernet switch, consumer router, other?

Most people in these forums highly recommend using a dedicated Ethernet switch over a consumer router (the switching fabric in consumer routers is typically not very good). It's also highly desirable to have the 2 computers connected to the same switch.

I just connected them to the same switch as one was connected to the router and the other connected to the switch before. Also, I had to change a lot of the NIC settings on the server as recommended in another post (I can't remember where it was, or who provided it but thank you to them). Doing a direct transfer is now up around 80/90 mb/s. Haven't gotten to the point of trying the backup yet, will be my task today.

Changing a bunch of the NIC settings has me a little worried. This is not normally required. Do you have a list of them? If so, I would strongly recommend you reset the NIC to defaults and try again that way before trying another backup. If it really slows down you can always re-implement the NIC changes.

Found the link of what I followed: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/19270-before-you-post-network-performance-issues/ When I went in to the server and looked at these settings, most of the offload and checksum were enabled, also jumbo packets was enabled too. I read somewhere that this has been a problem with RealTek drivers.

Certainly Jumbo Packets can be a problem. Primarily, the issues arise because of the different ways manufacturers implement Jumbo Packets. And, as you may well have witnessed personally, having Jumbo Packets enabled on 2 devices when the versions are not compatible can lead to dismal LAN performance.

Well, backup has been running for ~1.5 hrs and is at 10%. I probably should have waited to post this until I hit 100% but looks like I'm out of the woods :D . I will have to start reinstalling all of my programs, would you recommend a couple at a time and then do a backup so I can isolate what was causing my issue? It's purely a vanilla machine right now, I haven't even put Kaspersky back on it.

Well, backup has been running for ~1.5 hrs and is at 10%. I probably should have waited to post this until I hit 100% but looks like I'm out of the woods :D . I will have to start reinstalling all of my programs, would you recommend a couple at a time and then do a backup so I can isolate what was causing my issue? It's purely a vanilla machine right now, I haven't even put Kaspersky back on it.

Wow, that is still a lot of time. My desktop is about 100 gigs and its first backup didn't even take 60 minutes.