RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Extremely Slow Initial Backup

upsidedowncake

Is the F: drive physically on your PC? If so, and you used the Move Folder option to relocate the folders from C: to F:, then it should be backing them up only once.

What could really slow things down is if the F: drive was mapped to a folder on the server. What would happen in that case is the data would be read from the server down to your PC and then sent back to the server as part of the backup.

I absolutely back up the 100 MB partition on my systems. If I didn't, I wouldn't have a bootable systems after doing Restores.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

• upsidedowncake

Thanks for the answer on the system partition, that's what I thought but the contradictory statements were confusing.

The F: drive is physically located in the PC, and the libraries were moved by going in to the folder properties and using the move folder and entering the F: drive location. I double checked this morning when setting up the backup and 'My Documents' and the others I moved weren't shown under Users in the C: drive like some of the libraries I didn't touch.

Seems like the next step is to uninstall programs. Do you know of any in particular that may play havoc with WHS? Any types of programs, or if it's larger programs such as Adobe Master Collection, etc. that may cause issues? Or would you recommend a fresh install just to make sure it's one of the programs I had installed and not something entirely different?

Seems to be the next step, thanks again. I think I'll wait until the new Raid card gets here and then just do a fresh install of both devices, since the PC is really the painful one to do, and the server doesn't have anything on it yet but has gone through a few configurations and settings changes. All of my critical data can be removed on 2 drives while the reinstalls are happening and I'll plug them in after. If it still doesn't work, then I'll be really confused.

Just don't get almost burned like me. I had a backup disk get corrupted this morning by a faulty Thermaltake drive toaster. Fortunately, I had 3 other copies of the data and was able to restore the corrupted disk from 1 of them. It might seem like a huge overkill to have 4 copies, but 2 of them are on Dynamic disks that I can't read on any system except the one on which they were created. That system will be taken down in the near future, so there will only be 2 copies at that point. Hopefully, by that point, there will also be much less need for them.

Thanks for the good advice. Currently I have 3 copies of the data I absolutely need to keep, but one of those copies will be destroyed when I disable the software RAID 5 and install the RocketRaid card. The other two copies are each on their own drive which I plan to physically remove during the reinstalls. Hopefully that's enough redundancy. I haven't looked much at off site backups or the costs of buying data in the cloud, but it might be time. I've been having a lot of trouble getting this WHS box up and running which has caused me some concern. I know RAID 5 is only redundant, not a backup, so would you actually go to the cost of either backing up the RAID array or mirroring the entire array with 4 more drives as well? Currently my server backup only backs up the boot drive and the D: drive that is created, not the RAID. Also, the boot drive is two 300 gb drives with a software RAID mirroring them so I could lose one with out losing the data completely. All of this redundancy and multiple backups is fairly new to me, but the forums have been helpful.

Thanks. I got a Page Not Found for both links, would you be able to post them again? Appreciate all the help. Just got home and the backup I started this morning did about 1% per hour. Definitely time to reinstall.