RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2012 Homegroup VS Domain

Mr Bill

A friend of mine is dealing with server 2012 installation and having issues with the install not working when setting it up for a workgroup instead of a domain.

I recall some talk about migrating 2012 from a domain to a workgroup, but I am unable to find any posts on that process.

I am looking at installing 2012 Standard myself so that I can use Hyper-V.

Are there any issues with 2012 Standard on a workgroup, or will it only work on a domain?

Thanks for your time.

No issues at all with Server 2012 as a workgroup. To "migrate" from a domain to a workgroup is easy enough, it will be the clients that will have issues.

Decide on one hierarchy and sti k with it.

Guest no-control

Same here no issues in a workgroup, Hyper-V works fine which has the Domain network...I'm running a blended setup.

2012.jpg

Edited by no-control

I thought we had no option but to install 2012 essentials with the Domain.

This other power user went as far as writing up how to demote your server to workgroup, and said it was a failure

http://www.tinkertry...n-removal/

So again, can you please confirm it's actually ok to demote to WORKGROUP?

I don't want to use a domain and get things as close to 2011 as possible, I want basic file sharing like before so I did more research.

First off, I dove in with the 2012 install since StableBit DrivePool 2.0 now supports 2012. (I was using 2011)

http://forum.covecub...06#Comment_3706

First problem after the install was I couldn't SEE my server computer name when looking under Network in explorer. (even from in the server itself!)

From my laptop, I coludnt see or even access it manually by \\MEIDA either, but \\IPaddress worked.

I though I found a possible fix:

On my 2012 server, "Computer Browser" services on MEDIA was disabled. I started it and also set it to Automatic. This allowed me to actually access my server if I manually type \\MEDIA while in my laptop. The MEDIA computer name was still not visible under networks in explorer though.

I found another "work around"

I just renamed my windows 8 laptop workgroup name from WORKGROUP to JAZJON. (the same name as my Domain name on 2012) My server is now showing up under Network in explorer on my laptop like normal. I wonder why it's not visibly listed before the name change. It's not like I actually joined the domain.

Is their any way around this? Does anyone know if I can name my server domain "WORKGROUP" if I reinstall 2012? to make things seemly to anyone that wants to browse my server shares at my house? I don't want to have to put every computer that comes through my house into the JAZJON workgroup.

Their has to be a better way. I know we can demote the server and remove the domain all together. If their is no way, I'm thinking of using Windows 8 as my home server. (using StableBit DrivePool 2.0)

Edited by JazJon

Sorry, but I just don't understand the aversion to domains. One of the reasons for me to consider going to WSE2012 is in order to get a domain.

I have some computers running Mac OS X, and guests visiting I'd like them to have access to the server. My roommate wants access to my server and would not join a domain. My work laptop is already on a domain as well. When I ran 2011 I didn't even bother with the connector since it caused strange time out delay issues logging in. I could create the same local account name and password and it was as easy as that. HomeGroup stuff didn't work well either since it overwrote all other permissions.

So convincing me I really would actually want a domain for home use or would like it better is not going to happen unfortunately. Their has to be a way to make 2012 work as a basic home server.

I see where you're coming from. As far as guests are concerned, they don't have to join the domain; there are ways around that. But your work laptop can be an issue.

All you need is a Domain User account in order to gain access to the doamin resources. The client does not have to be on the domain.

-snip-

So again, can you please confirm it's actually ok to demote to WORKGROUP?

-snip-

No, you can't as Tinkererguy, PCDoc, No-Control, JMWillis and many others have shown in these forums (check out the S2012E forum Threads) -- it's not OK to demote.

Now you can attach a Client and remove it from the domain (sortof) and have the benefits without the hassel:

• There's the MS/Thurrott method by the process documented by Paul Thurrott, TechNET, and here.
  • The other is the joined then un-joined to the S2012E domain using the process documented by Tinkererguy here, here and explained in the video
    . <= My Fav so Far

Both work pretty well though I'm seeming to have fewer problems with the Tinkererguy process becoming "lost" and needing the client to be rebooted and the Domain ID & PW re-entered like the Thurrott/TechNET process.

Bottom line: if you really REALLY don't want a domain and don't want to mess with the Thurrott or the Tinkererguy methods then you should be looking at Win8, WHS2011, or S2012, or S2012 Storage Server Std. IMHO.