RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you transfer Client Backups from one WHS2011 to Another

ikon

I guess the title says it all. I'm standing up a new N40L for a relative's business. Since last September I've loaned him my old Acer H340 server, running WHS2011. It has quite a few backups on it. I was wondering if it's possible, and if so how, to copy the backups from the H340 to the N40L and integrate them with WHS2011 on the N40L.

It's the same relative. There's only 1 business. There has been a lot to do because they were so far behind: no central file storage, no centralized backups (in fact, no client backups of any kind), dodgy cabling, etc. Then there's the issue of them having over 66,000 duplicate files to be rationalized. That's quite a few for a very small business. I'm also limited, of course, by the fact that they need to use the system every day, and often on weekends.

On the surface I would say yes, but it all depends on how the new server recognizes the new clients. I;m not sure if it is by Host Name only or by SID. If by Host Name, you should be able to transfer the backups and proceed.