RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HotSwapping (N40L)?

ziki

I read on some articles that internal drives on N40L are non HS. Is that True? I want to be able to switch drives while the machine is operational without having to power it down. If you enable AHCI on BIOS and install Win 7 or 8 dont you get the Hot-Swap function? Can anyone confirm or deny this before i decide to purchase this machine?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cskenney

• jmwills

• ikon

• ziki

Top Posters In This Topic

I can confirm that, if you install the BIOS-Mods 3rd party BIOS, you can get hot-swap capability. And, yes, without the 3rd party BIOS, the drives are non-hot-swappable; the labels on the drive caddies even say so :9

However, I just set up an N40L for a relative's business. I did flash to the 3rd party BIOS. Now, when I right-click on the little icon in the System Tray that let's you eject drives, every drive, including the Boot Drive, shows up as ejectable. I don't imagine I could actually eject the Boot Drive, but it is listed.

I believe one of the key BIOS settings to change after flashing the BIOS-Mods BIOS is disabling SATA IDE Combined Mode. This apparently makes all ports into eSATA ports, which are hot-swappable :)

You should really do some reading about the Mod BIOS. Search Bing or google for N40L BIOS settings and other such like keywords; you should get a bunch of hits to posts and articles on these forums. You can start here with Joe_Miner's excellent blog post: http://homeserversho...dification.html

Thank You very much. I dont need to go into details about Bios settings, as long as it doesnt have any caveats compared to the original BIOS, it should be worth it, since it enables hot-swapping capabilities. Are there also other 3rd party modded BIOS, or just this one?

BTW, drives showing in the safely remove is not a problem. Theres a simple registry hack that allows you to manage which ones you want to show up and which not to.

Here you can see how to turn off drives in order not to show in the safely remove option.

http://www.overclock.net/t/974023/fix-ahci-sata-drives-showing-in-safely-remove-hardware

Thanks. I realize you can reg-hack the drives. My only real point was that the Mod BIOS settings makes them appear in the System Tray icon. I take that as a confirmation that the ports have become hot-swappable :)

I've only heard that there might be another, Russian, BIOS for the N40L. However, the really great thing about the BIOS-Mods one is that they didn't change any actual functionality of the BIOS. They simply 'unhid' features that were already in the BIOS to begin with.

Oh OK i now realise how you meant it. ;)

I've only heard that there might be another, Russian, BIOS for the N40L. However, the really great thing about the BIOS-Mods one is that they didn't change any actual functionality of the BIOS. They simply 'unhid' features that were already in the BIOS to begin with.

Nice that's perfect. I only asked, just to make sure there arent other BIOS so i wont need to make any further research and choosing best one.

BTW I find it weird that they dont allow for hotswapping out of the box, since its such a usefull feature and you have to go a special way about it. Strange that they went that way.

Thank You for confirming this for me.

I put a lot of the 'oddities' about the microServer down to HP not wanting to make them too feature-rich. After all, they are a bargain basement priced item; wouldn't want to show up its bigger brothers, would we?

Well that makes sense! BTW In that price are there any other competitors out there on this genre? Is there any machine with more discs or more capabilities for 200$. I guess almost certaintly not, but thought i should ask this as the last question before i go out and get one.

I think the general consensus is that the microServers are the best value in the price range. I concur with that opinion. I can confirm that the build quality is high and it's quite feature rich, especially with the modded BIOS.