RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DNS client not configured?

revengineer

Hi,

ok I have my new server up and running and am slowly adapting. BPA is throwing a critical warning that the "DNS client is not configured". I do not want the server to do DNS, that role is taken care of my superrouter. Is the solution to disable the "DNS client" service?

I do not want to do anything stupid, so your input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Since server 2012 essentials is a domain controller, it has to run the DNS as well. Active Directory depends on a number of DNS entries in order to operate properly. The one thing I have been trying to figure out lately is how to make the DHCP server in my router update the WS2012 DNS server with the hostnames of my computers.

Have we established that this is WSE2012?

If it is WSE2012, I suspect you will want to turn off DNS on your router and let WSE2012 handle it. I'm not sure if, and how many, people are keeping DNS running on their routers and setting up forwarding on their WSE2012. That might be another answer.

I would also let WSE2012 be the DHCP server. In a domain it's important to let the DC's handle a lot of stuff; they keep things co-ordinated.

Glad to see some new discussion on these topics.

My router is a Sophos UTM running on an Atom D525 based system (http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx). I currently have WS2012E running with only 1 client computer connected (still testing). My "superrouter" handles DHCP with fixed addresses for 6 client computers (Win 7), my old WHS v1, 2 iPhones, 2 windows phone 8 phones, and a Zune HD. I set it to forward the address of the WS2012E as the DNS server when it assigns leases, so all clients on my network us it for DNS. This all seems to work well.

One problem I confronted was that the WS2012E and its domain-connected client would not update time. My Sophos UTM is set up as the NTP server for the network, and it blocks connections to internet time servers. However, the domain controller takes the role of NTP server for its clients. I overcame this by changing the registry entries to allow the WS2012E to sync with the UTM instead. Now all the trains run on time. Comments?

Edited by whsvet

Have we established that this is WSE2012?

If it is WSE2012, I suspect you will want to turn off DNS on your router and let WSE2012 handle it. I'm not sure if, and how many, people are keeping DNS running on their routers and setting up forwarding on their WSE2012. That might be another answer.

I would also let WSE2012 be the DHCP server. In a domain it's important to let the DC's handle a lot of stuff; they keep things co-ordinated.

Hi ikon,

to confirm, yes this is WS 2012 Essentials, which is replacing my old v1 (still sad to see it go).

Since my internal network has numerous devices that are not attached to the domain but still need DHCP and DNS (nintendo ds+wii, roku boxes, phones), I would prefer to leave these functionality at the superrouter.

Could you give me instructions on how to forward the DNS? (I do not want to screw the machine up as I am now in the process of transferring mission critical stuff.)

With forwarding the DNS, where will my potential problems be?

Thanks so much.

Hi ikon,

to confirm, yes this is WS 2012 Essentials, which is replacing my old v1 (still sad to see it go).

Since my internal network has numerous devices that are not attached to the domain but still need DHCP and DNS (nintendo ds+wii, roku boxes, phones), I would prefer to leave these functionality at the superrouter.

Could you give me instructions on how to forward the DNS? (I do not want to screw the machine up as I am now in the process of transferring mission critical stuff.)

With forwarding the DNS, where will my potential problems be?

Thanks so much.

OK. It doesn't matter 1 bit that your other devices are not domain based/connected. They can use DHCP and DNS services from the WSE2012 just fine. In fact, it may help with inter-device communications if WSE2012 does do all the DHCP and DNS. Besides, it's not best practice to have 2 DHCP servers on the network. DHCP and DNS are 'universal' services. DHCP, in particular, will respond to any request, from any device, on a LAN.

I would disable DHCP and DNS on the router and enable it on WSE2012 Give it a try for a few days.

Glad to see some new discussion on these topics.

My router is a Sophos UTM running on an Atom D525 based system (http://www.sophos.co...me-edition.aspx). I currently have WS2012E running with only 1 client computer connected (still testing). My "superrouter" handles DHCP with fixed addresses for 6 client computers (Win 7), my old WHS v1, 2 iPhones, 2 windows phone 8 phones, and a Zune HD. I set it to forward the address of the WS2012E as the DNS server when it assigns leases, so all clients on my network us it for DNS. This all seems to work well.

One problem I confronted was that the WS2012E and its domain-connected client would not update time. My Sophos UTM is set up as the NTP server for the network, and it blocks connections to internet time servers. However, the domain controller takes the role of NTP server for its clients. I overcame this by changing the registry entries to allow the WS2012E to sync with the UTM instead. Now all the trains run on time. Comments?

I'm sure DHCP will work the way you have it configured, but I can't help but wonder if it's all just a bit too complicated. Why not let WSE2012 handle it all? It likely would correct your time updating issue as well.

I currently have an Untangle UTM as my gateway. It's doing DHCP and DNS at the moment. When I set up WSE2012, i will transfer those functions to it from Untangle.

But ikon, what's the fun in not being complicated?? :)

Yes, you are correct, WS2012E could do easily DHCP and DNS. And I might switch over to that model as I become more accustomed to the "server world".

The Sophos UTM functions as the network NTP server by default. Yes, it can be disabled, I just haven't done that. I'm still in (perpetual) testing mode!!

OK. It doesn't matter 1 bit that your other devices are not domain based/connected. They can use DHCP and DNS services from the WSE2012 just fine. In fact, it may help with inter-device communications if WSE2012 does do all the DHCP and DNS. Besides, it's not best practice to have 2 DHCP servers on the network. DHCP and DNS are 'universal' services. DHCP, in particular, will respond to any request, from any device, on a LAN.

I would disable DHCP and DNS on the router and enable it on WSE2012 Give it a try for a few days.

Problem is that the DHCP on my superrouter assigns some devices specific IPs based on their MAC address. This is so I can apply different level of traffic filtering to specific devices.

I was hoping to put the new server in place without turning my whole network upside down. For now I simply turned off the warning, which of course does not resolve the issue. Maybe I just have to wait and see what does not work in this configuration.