RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Kind of confused by an email I got about WMC

Rod at home

I got an email today from Microsoft saying that I still need to activate Windows Media Center Pack on my Windows 8 Pro machine. I took advantage of the fact that you can download and install it for free, until the end of this month, I believe it is. Anyway, this email says I still need to activate it. I thought that I had, but it was well over a month ago, so I don't recall.

When I went through the instructions it didn’t take me to a “Add Features to Windows 8”. Instead it took me to “Add Features to Windows”. When I drilled down to Media Features | Windows Media Center, it was checked. That looks to me as though it’s already installed and has been activated. Am I wrong about that?

You may have requested and received more than one key. That's what I did, thinking I may be deploying WMC if I upgrade to Win8 Pro on my other machines. I only used one key so far to install WMC on my HTPC.

But regardless, I no longer use WMC anyway. When I saw that it was exactly like the one that shipped with Win7, the excitement died and I switched to XBMC.

Edited by oj88

If it says something like Windows 8 Professional with Media Center under computer properties, I would imagine that the feature was unlocked/activated successfully.

Sorry, I'm nowhere near my HTPC right now to verify.

When I look at Computer and the properties, I see the following:

Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

So, I guess that means my Windows Media Center is activated. Can anyone else verify, please?

I think that the fact that it's already working means that the WMC component is already activated. IIRC, the activation happened after you've typed in the key and prior to Windows 8 downloading the components.

• Like 1