RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

750GB 2.5" hard drives

usacomp2k3

http://www.wdc.com/en/company/releases/PressRelease.asp?release=5ba85c8b-0849-4158-8d72-b1be7ee43852

So Western Digital now has a 750GB 2.5" drive. What does this mean for Home Servers? My first thought is that we can now have smaller, quieter servers. Imagine a WHS with 2 small drives in it no bigger than an external drive that can now support duplication? How about something quiet enough to put in your TV cabinet and have it more easily accessible? How about simple hot-swap hard drive bays for offsite storage? What about an external bus-powered drive that can actually fit a decent amount of storage?
The biggest downside is the cost. $150 for 750 isn't very good. $0.20/gb is pretty bad compared to a 2TB for $130 ($0.06/gb) It's not going to replace mass-storage, but for special cases, it has potential.
I think this presents a lot of possibilities for the WHS community.

I am a WD fan but I hope this drive is better than the 640 they had which to date is the slowest drive I ever ran. Besides the cost, you would need two drive controllers for ever 1.5T. I think I will stick with the green drives for now. Sounds cool for a laptop though.

I am with PCDOC, I love the Green Drives. I don't think Homeservers need to be really small. The HP Mediasmarts are small enough. I would rather have a big case with lots of drive bays and the ability to add cooling. My server sits in my Safe room in my basement and is pretty much a "set it and forget it" state of mind. No reason to keep a server on your desk IMO.

Besides that though, I think these 750GB drives would be great for super small HTPCs. For people that don't have servers, they can store more movies on this, and also more recorded TV capacity.