Sign in to follow this  
Puulima

RoboCopy alternative for Win8?

Puulima

From what I've been reading RoboCopy either doesn't work (at all) or doesn't work properly in Windows 8? I see it is still included with Windows 8 so assuming it probably runs and copies - but the posts I read noted it didn't perform as expected - and the one item I recall noted in cases of files being the SAME - RoboCopy in Windows 8 thought one file was newer and so instead of skipping dupes, it re-copied them.

I need a program that will copy data from my old WHS v1 drives (which most of the data was set to duplicate when the server died) to new drives - but obviously don't want to waste time copying duplicates.

I'm still Googling but thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a similar program.

Thanks

ikon

I don't have a Win8 box set up currently, but I do recall that there is a /FFT (FAT File Times) setting for RoboCopy that relaxes the time criteria. I has to use it once going from an older OS to a newer one. It might help.

Puulima

I don't have a Win8 box set up currently, but I do recall that there is a /FFT (FAT File Times) setting for RoboCopy that relaxes the time criteria. I has to use it once going from an older OS to a newer one. It might help.

In the TechNet post I found on this - that was suggested and tested and still didn't work. I'm on my iPhone right now so can't paste the link to that posting - but it did propose a solution that is a bit cumbersome - so looking for something I can implement easily. Even with the workaround some reported Robocopy still copied exact dupes.

TerraCopy.

What version? I saw that and downloaded it - haven't had a chance to play with it but didn't see anywhere to set options of what to copy. Looked like you had to drag and drop the source folders or files to the GUI? Been on calls all afternoon so haven't had a chance to google the instructions. But presuming it does allow one to set some parameters? Does it produce a log also like RoboCopy does?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: do you guys know anything about RichCopy ? It's touted as being better than RoboCopy and a posting I saw said it worked under Win8. I'm going to try it out and appreciate any feedback you might have.

Edited by Puulima

ikon

RichCopy is the latest in the RoboCopy series. I've used it but didn't find it to be enough different from RoboCopy to make me switch. However, if it works with Win8 when RC doesn't, that would be enough difference to matter.

revengineer

Just transferring my WHS v1 to WS2012E. I have tried several bulk copiers. Fastcopy seems to work best for me. Ironically it is not as fast as Teracopy, but with Teracopy I have issues with the shared network drive disappearing after some time.

Puulima

I'm liking RichCopy...the options are great. And works nicely on Widows 8 without the issues RoboCopy experiences. Nice part is the GUI reports whats going on in real time and lists the entire history (log details) in a scrollable window. Robocopy always left me wndering if the background copying was done. So a keeper.

ikon

You've never used the log feature of RoboCopy; or am I reading it wrong?

IIRC, RichCopy doesn't have a command-line mode though, is that correct? If so, that would make it have to use in a batch file or scheduled task.

Puulima

You've never used the log feature of RoboCopy; or am I reading it wrong?

IIRC, RichCopy doesn't have a command-line mode though, is that correct? If so, that would make it have to use in a batch file or scheduled task.

Yeah I used the log file function...but you had to keep opening the log file to check when it was done...don't get me wrong, loved RoboCopy, it was slick but I like being able to see where I'm at in the copy process "at a glance".

Question though: copying to/from the storage space was in the 25 MB/s range - I'm now copying from one drive to another in the N40L case itself and not seeing any better performance. The default settings for RichCopy are 3 threads being copied at once - so am I reading this wrong? Is the throughput really 3x the reported speed on the RichCopy screen? IE: perhaps the 25 MB/s is the "individual" speed but collectively I'm seeing 75 MB/S?

Even so, I thought I'd see better performance on regular SATA drives vs copying to / from a Storage Space Virtual drive.

EDIT: Actually the performance (so far) appears to be worse than copying from the storage Space? 20 MB/s max so far?

Edited by Puulima

ikon

Wasn't aware this is an N40L. Have you installed the modded BIOS? If not, the SATA ports are limited to SATA I (1.5 Gbps). The modded BIOS can up that to SATA II (3Gbps).