RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is WHS v1 available to purchase anywhere anymore?

Puulima

I was all set to move forward with Windows 8 as my new server platform with Storage Spaces taking the place of the old Drive Extender in WHS v1 - and then after some googling today on "best practices" for setting up the Pool(s) and Storage Space(s) - I stumbled on a blog that pointed out a flaw in Storage Spaces - the inability to re-balance the data on drives when a new drive needs to be added to the pool/storage space. If anyone is interested, this thread clearly describes the issue and has some responses from a MS rep. But bottom line, WHS v1 handled adding new drives quite nicely so I think I may be leaning towards that as an interim solution until MS addresses this shortcoming in Storage Spaces.

http://social.techne...3-e4e7fd73e85b/

But seems like the v1 software has gone the way of the dodo at this late date.

Anybody aware of where / how to get a copy of the install package and a product key?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Renny

• Joe_Miner

• Puulima

Stablebit DrivePool does balancing and then some http://stablebit.com...vePool/Features

Works with WHS2011 and SBS 2011 Essentials and coming soon to S2012 & S2012E

Yup - was just reading up on that. I recall reading abot the various alternatives to DE when WHS 2011 was coming out - but recall there were bugs and/or other issues and no clear winner had surfaced. Sounds like DrivePool is a winner.

But now I need to get my hands on WHS 2011 - and doesn't look like there's a way to purchase & download it? I've found it on Amazon and NewEgg - but I'd really like to be installing this yesterday and moving forward right away - not waiting for it to be shipped to me. I've been w/o a server for far too long now.

Anybody know of a way to get it via a download?

As Renny said, I think your only choice is Technet, or MSDN. For either of them you have to have a subscription to get a key.

So $199 to get my hands on a $50 piece of software :-( Great. Anybody out there have a TechNet subscription and can help out?

Fry's or MicroCenter would probably have a copy of 2011 that you could drive and get (call ahead).

The next option is next day air from Newegg or Amazon.

The EULA with Technet is for Testing only and the SW licence/key is only good for the term of your Technet license. Not a viable production choice IMHO.

Fry's or MicroCenter would probably have a copy of 2011 that you could drive and get (call ahead).

I'm in Canada, nobody nearby has it...will have to be Newegg.ca - especially in lieu of the technet license term

The EULA with Technet is for Testing only and the SW licence/key is only good for the term of your Technet license. Not a viable production choice IMHO.

Much thanks

- Side note/question: for all the WHS 2011 users out there (using DrivePool - and maybe Scanner) - am I going to be happy? IE: I was happy with WHS v1 for my needs - so 2011 didn't lose anything (other than DE) right? Haven't done much research on it lately...

So $199 to get my hands on a $50 piece of software :-( Great. Anybody out there have a TechNet subscription and can help out?

I'm in Canada, nobody nearby has it...will have to be Newegg.ca - especially in lieu of the technet license term

Side note/question: for all the WHS 2011 users out there (using DrivePool - and maybe Scanner) - am I going to be happy? IE: I was happy with WHS v1 for my needs - so 2011 didn't lose anything (other than DE) right? Haven't done much research on it lately...

Unless, like Joe_Miner says, you can find it at a store local to you by calling around, you will have to get it from NewEgg et al. You could only get it faster from TechNet; the $199 subscription is just the price you pay for instant gratification. To avoid the TechNet subscription issue, you could replace the TechNet license with a 'real' one from NewEgg et al after the fact. BTW, asking people to 'help out' by getting software using their TechNet Subscription is not cool.

Re: will you be happy? I recommend reading these forums thoroughly before deciding to move to WHS2011 or, since it only costs $50, you could just take a flyer and try it out. Not much to lose really, especially with the DriverPool and DriveBender options available. In many ways, I think DrivePool is better than DE.

BTW, asking people to 'help out' by getting software using their TechNet Subscription is not cool.

Oops, didn't mean anything as far as breaking any rules...didn't fully get what TechNet was about.