RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jdilay

Question about Rocketraid installation in HP N40L

ikon

Using the wrong cable won't damage anything; it just won't work, and yes, you are good to go.

ShuG

I am thinking of using a Rocketraid 2710 with a SATSAS225ODD Dual 2.5in SATA/SAS Removable Hard Drive + Slim Optical Drive which has a Mini-SAO (SFF-8087) connector. My quesion is would it be better to use the 2710 with the existing N40L drive cage and use the onboard 8087 connector for the SATSAS225ODD where I don't need SATA III

LoneWolf

If you went with a RocketRaid 2720, you'd have two MiniSAS connectors, and could easily do everything off the controller.  This is what I'll be doing shortly with the IcyDock adapter I just bought, but with my SmartArray P410 controller.  The HP mainboard connector will go to one of the ports, and an SFF8087 will link up the IcyDock, supporting one ODD and two hard drives.

Note that for what a 2720 costs, I was able to get the P410 used on Ebay; it's got the advantage of better driver/firmware support, and caching.  I think you'll get higher performance out of one.

Edited by LoneWolf

jdilay

I am having an issues running all my drives off the 2720.  I had my 5 WD 3TB Red drives disconnected while I installed my OS to a 120GB SSD.  Everything worked great.  I could reboot right into Windows each time.  As soon as I connected the other drives my system would "look for boot device".  I would go into the 2720 BIOS and set the boot priority to the SSD and it would boot into Windows.  Windows would see all 5 3TB drives.  After a reboot same issue..."looking for boot device".  I would go back into the 2720 BIOS and have to set the boot priority to the SSD again.  The setting didn't seem to save.

I am not using any sort of RAID with this card, I am on the latest BIOS (1.5), drivers (1.3.12.1023), and web interface (2.1.4.12.1026).  I have put a support case in to Highpoint support.  Any ideas from the members here?

Also, it is a bit annoying to see the rocketraid bios screen each boot.  Slows the boot time right down.  I understand it needs to check for disks but I have had cards in the past that do not take this long to scan.

ikon

Did the other cards have this many drives?

LoneWolf

I don't know how long the scan is on the RocketRAID, but the HP P410 also has a startup scan, and it takes some time.  As my server is on 24/7 except for reboots, that's not a big deal to me.

I don't have an answer for the boot priority.

• Like 1

jdilay

Here is a follow up to my issue in post #14:

If you want to have your Windows OS boot drive connected to the Rocketraid 2720SGL it needs to show in the rocketraid BIOS as the device before all the other drives...ideadlly device "1 1".

In my case the SSD was labelled as device "1 6" in the rocketraid BIOS.  There were 4 RED drives labelled "1 1" to "1 4" in the BIOS. By switching around the SAS cables I was able to get the SSD as device "1 2" and all devices were "1 3" or higher.  The server now boots from the SSD with the 5 other drives connected and without manually changing the boot priority in the rocketraid BIOS.  I have no idea why there is an option to set the boot priority device in the rocketraid BIOS if that setting doesn't save.  Highpoint support was not able to provide me an answer either.

As for the BIOS boot screen taking a long time...you can set the time it displays when flashing the bios (use the /c command when flashing)...or contact highpoint support and they will send you a quickbios which disables the BIOS on startup and you have to do all your configuring through the OS and the Rocketraid web interface.  If you use the quickbios you cannot boot from a drive that is connected to the rocketraid card.

ikon

Yeah; hard to understand why you wouldn't be able to set the drive boot priority in the BIOS and have it 'stick'. Seems like a bug to me.

marky9074
Yeah; hard to understand why you wouldn't be able to set the drive boot priority in the BIOS and have it 'stick'. Seems like a bug to me.
You can set the boot priority for arrays (as this is what I have done), but not individual drives it seems. In fact for my backup drives I didn't think they would get detected by the RR BIOS, so I hooked them up to the onboard sata.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ikon

Ah. Interesting. I guess I can sorta see that, though I think it would still be better if you could set it without having to create an array.