RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jdilay

Question about Rocketraid installation in HP N40L

jdilay

Finally getting around to putting my N40L together as a storage and services (uTorrent, headphones, sickbeard, etc) server. I am doing a pretty standard setup that I have seen on these forums:

1. 6 drives (5 x WD RED 3TB and 1 x Intel 120GB SSD)

2. Icydock for the 5th RED drive and the SSD

3. A HIGHPOINT ROCKETRAID 2720SGL so I don't have to mess around with the esata port and a moddified bios. (I was also planning to do a hardware RAID5 but now I'm planning to just go with FlexRaid).

Anyway, my question is about connecting the rocketraid card to the 4 drives that sit in the drive cage. Out of the box the drives slide nicely and connect smoothly to the N40L's stock mini sas to sata/power combo connector (which are nicely mounted to the bracket behind the drives).

I read somewhere (on these forums i think) not to use the stock mini sas cable with the rocketraid card. I guess first question is...is this correct?

I would love to reuse this cable because of the sata/power combo end. Just sliding the drives in and they connect is so slick.

I purchased new 3Ware sata breakout cables to use with the rocket raid card. They just have the sata ends...not the nice combo sata/power end.

If the answer is no...don't use the stock mini sas cable that came with the N40L...use the new 3Ware cables...I assume I would just pull out the bracket and the stock cable and not use it at all?

I'm probably overthinking this...like I said before I love the ability to just slide the drives in and "click" they are connected. With the 3ware cables I have to connect the drives manually...but who cares...how often am I really going to be sliding the drives in and out?

Wow pretty long post for a simple question. Thanks in advance. Excited to get this beast up and running.

schoondoggy

I have not used the 2720SGL. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe it will not work, but it is a very short card and the cable may not be long enough.

I am in the process of building a N40L with a HP P410 RAID card. The P410 is a little longer, but I still had to cut off cable ties to get enough slack to not put too much strain on the connector. That would be the first thing I would check.

LoneWolf

IMO, you are better off using a miniSAS hardware RAID card. There are several choices available, be they HP, Adaptec, or others, but I don't see much reason to go with a third-party controller card if you're not going to use hardware RAID. The modified BIOS isn't that big of a deal.

Going hardware RAID has the benefit of caching to speed up the array, and improved performance from the controller's ability to keep the CPU usage down by handling RAID parity calculations itself. This also speeds up rebuilds in the event a drive does fail. I also think it's a bigger benefit in the Microserver, considering that the N40L isn't a bad CPU, but it's not a powerhouse.

If you're going with a software type of RAID, I wouldn't get a controller. I don't think it's worth it.

jdilay

Appreciate the replies. Already have the rocketraid card...might as well use it. I have already decided on flexraid.

My question was just about the mini sas cable that comes with the n40l. It reaches the rocketraid card but I'm hesitant to use it as I recall reading somewhere...maybe here...not to use the n40l sas cable with this card for some reason...but it was never stated why and I cannot find the post again. Are there better mini sas cables than others or is it like hdmi cables...a cable is a cable?

I guess I can just go ahead and try it and if it works it works and if it doesn't I use the 3ware cables I bought with the rocketraid card.

ikon

The reason that comes to mind right away is whether the cable is a 'forward' or 'reverse' type. pcdoc would be the one to correct me, but I suspect, if you just try the cable, you will know pretty much right away if it's correct. AFAIK, if you have the wrong cable type it just won't work at all: i.e. it won't see the drives.

jdilay

Ah perfect! That is exactly what I remember reading about. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

ikon

No worries. Good luck with it. Let us know how it's going.

Macca

how did you get on with the cables ? did the ones from n40l fit OK or did you have to go for new ones?

a15457

If you're not going to use the hardward RAID then why use it? Mebee this is a dumb question .. mebee not!

I use a RocketRAID 2710 and used the inbuilt N40L cable without a drama.

:)

jdilay

If you're not going to use the hardward RAID then why use it? Mebee this is a dumb question .. mebee not!

See #3 in the op

I haven't had much time to work on this but I quickly plugged in a drive to the rocketraid using the sas cable that came with the N40L and then did a ctrl h...the drive showed up in the rocketraid config screen so I guess that means I am good to go? I guess this means the stock cable is a forward sas and not a reverse. I guess I could have just tried this in the first place but I was hesitant because I was worried using the wrong cable might damage the drives. Anyway, thanks for the help. I should have time this weekend to get everything up and running. I'll post then with my progress.