RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ooma Telo $99.99, Home Phone for $5 month

Dave

Hey Guys,

I purchased one of these from Woot.com and have been very happy with it. I don't use it for voicemail but it has all kinds of bells and whistles. I have simply plugged it in downstairs in my wiring room. A CAT5 connection and then patch the telephone into your home wiring.

You have to establish an account with them to use the service. You pay the taxes and regulatory feeds which amounts to $3 to $5 depending on your area and you have unlimited calling in the US.

There is a premium plan for $10 a month that includes some overseas calling as well as some really cool features. SMS to your mobile, forward to mobile, ring mobile, etc.

http://woot.com

It's in the Tech Woot section.

I have been using one for years and it works well. We did upgraded to the premium version, mainly for

the blacklisting option. Still, it's much cheaper than AT&T and my wife likes having a home phone.

• 11 months later...

Was curious what you all set your upstream bandwidth to for use with Ooma?  I have mine behind my router and give it ~768+ kbps upstream but still people report I sound like I'm in a tunnel.  Whereas other caller sound perfect to me with no drop outs.

When I got my Zyxel Zywall 20 firewall one of the ports was set for DMZ. I moved the Ooma to that port and most of my quality issues went away.

Off the top of my head i don't think it is limited in any fashion. I have read some people install it in front of their

router to solve problems they were having.

The wife likes the convenience of the home phone. It also negates the need for the kids (3 and 5) to walk 

around the house with our cell phones. Given their habit of throwing stuff to the floor, specifically their

iPads, it is a cost savings in the long run. 

Went exclusively cell for years. We have young kids and older parents who frequently watch them and they're always forgetting their cell phones. A cheap land line is simplicity.

I guess I need to figure out how to setup a NIC as a DMZ in pfsense and just put the Ooma there.

Off the top of my head i don't think it is limited in any fashion. I have read some people install it in front of their

router to solve problems they were having.

My modem and pfsense router are in a wiring closet. Sounds like I just need to move my Ooma between my modem and pfsense router rather than trying to use pfsense QOS to manage congestion. I want to be able to saturate my bandwidth and not have to tweak pfsense constantly to fix VOIP quality issues. It's been a headache.