RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

User folder not automatically created?

cw-kid

Hi

I just migrated to WHS 2011, I created myself a user account via the WHS console. However I noticed that it has not automatically created a user folder for my user name. Also the user folders appear to be located in C:\ Users which is unlike WHS V1 where it creates these folders in D:\shares\Users.

Is this normal?

Thanks

WHS 2011 does not automatically create user folders like some other versions of the software have. The C:\Users folder is where user folders are normally created on the system, not a folder specifically meant to be a file share. The more business-oriented versions of the software (SBS-E 2011 and WS2012E) do have a Users share by default where folders are created, but in WHS 2011 this share doesn't exist. If you want per-user folders, you'll have to create them manually.

Note - apparently enabling Homegroup can cause the Users folder to become shared, but there's a KB article that basically tells you 'if this happens, stop sharing it'. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2525209

Hi thanks for the explanation. The C:\Users folder is already shared out on the network and I did not share it myself. So maybe the homegroup thing did it.

I just created a new folder with my name in the C:\Users folder.

WHS 2011 does not automatically create user folders like some other versions of the software have. The C:\Users folder is where user folders are normally created on the system, not a folder specifically meant to be a file share. The more business-oriented versions of the software (SBS-E 2011 and WS2012E) do have a Users share by default where folders are created, but in WHS 2011 this share doesn't exist. If you want per-user folders, you'll have to create them manually.

Note - apparently enabling Homegroup can cause the Users folder to become shared, but there's a KB article that basically tells you 'if this happens, stop sharing it'. http://support.micro....com/kb/2525209

Check the permissions on the sub folders. It may be needed to share the parent in order to get to the sub folders, unless you know the literal path to the sub folder. i.e., a user without Admin Rights would not be able to drill down from the top.

I seem to have a new problem now, I joined my Windows 7 laptop to the new HomeGroup that the Administrator on the WHS 2011 created. Now I cannot access from the laptop some of the shared folders that are located in D;\ServerFolders on the WHS server. Even though in the WHS console under users my user name has full Read/Write access to all the shares.

When browsing the network / WHS from the laptop and clicking on to one of these folders it says: Windows cannot access \\servername\foldername. You do not have permission to access. Contact your network administrator to request access.

From the WHS server via RDP, if I right click on one of the folders and select share with HomeGroup I can then access that folder again from my laptop client. So does homegroup sharing take presidence over whats setup in the WHS console users area?

Thanks

I should also say my username and password on the Windows 7 laptop and the WHS 2011 server are the same. I left the homegroup on the laptop and double checked I still had Read/Write access to all the shares in the WHS Console users area. But I still cannot access certain shares, This was working fine yesterday before I started messing with HomeGroup.

Thanks

EDIT: I just logged out of the laptop and back in and now I can access all the shares OK again. So leaving the homegroup seems to have got me back working. Why does joining the homegroup on the WHS 2011 seem to them mess up access to the WHS shares that have been configured in the users area of the WHS console ?

Many thanks

Many, many topics on why using the HomeGroup is bad. The whole concept is just silly and not needed.

Yeah I never did like HomeGroup in Windows 7 either. In that case I will not join any of the Windows 7 client HTPCs to the homegroup on the WHS 2011.

Ive got a weird thing happening in Windows Media Center pictures library now as well since migrating away from WHS V1. If I am browsing the pictures folder and the sub folders that are on the WHS from the MCE picture library UI, when clicking in to some folders it will often say in MCE "There are no items in this library yet, MCE is searching for media files in the background" However if I exit and click back in to the folder a few times, eventually the pictures are displayed. Never had this problem with WHS V1. The WMP11 library on the HTPC is fully built and indexed etc and its had a few days to settle down. It does this on more than one Media Center PC so its not jut one machine that has the problem.

The MCE PCs all have the same user account called MCE and the same password locally and on the WHS server. That account has Read/Write access to the Pictures folder share.

Edited by cw-kid