RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

EX490 Locking Up - Recovery?

dabour

My tried and true EX490 is starting to show its age. For a few months now it takes FOREVER for the WHS console to come up from a client computer. I usually just RDP in and start it there. Even doing it that way takes 10 minutes.

Anyways a few days ago my WHS EX490 is starting to lock up after being online 20 minutes or so. Proverbial nothing has changed recently. About 2-3 months ago I swapped out and replaced 1 TB drives in an esata enclosure with 1.5's and everything's been fine storage wise since then (except for the slow console display - which has been going on for a while). What's strange is I didn't even realize the WHS was having issues until my wife's computer started acting slow. Aparently at one point I had her Documents share directly on the WHS. I thought I moved everything back to her local HD when I upgraded her PC last year but some stubs remained, especially in Office products :-(

No errors in any logs that I can see. No red lights. No audible pings from hard drives. It responds to ping but no RDP and no shared folder access when its hung.

So I'm wondering if it can be an OS related issues. That is the only HD I haven't upgraded to increase storage space so it is the oldest HDU.

I understand the EX490 has a RECOVERY option as well as a full system RESTORE. The Recovery will lay down a fresh copy of the OS, loose all the user/share data of course.

Has anyone used recovery successfully? Any other suggestions for what may be ailing my WHS v1 EX490? I'm starting to do SyncToy's for each share to external hard drive as we speak. Frustrating to have to hard reboot the server and restart the process so often...

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

1. if you haven't opened the box in a long time, open it and blow it out. It may well have some mutant dust bunnies inside by this point. They could cause the system to auto-slowdown due to overheating;
  2. with the power cord unplugged, reseat the RAM;
  3. shut down, pull the OS drive, and test it. I would use.... wait for it..... SpinRite. The drive manufacturer likely has diagnostics tools you can run as well;
  4. if you do decide to SpinRite, or do other HDD diagostics that will take a while, download and burn a CD of MemTest86 and boot up the server with it to test the RAM. Myself, I would run MemTest86 anyway, but it's your call.

Those are a few ideas to try. I'm sure others will some more.

Thanks for the reply. I gave my can of compressed air a good work out. I will try the SpinRite idea. I forgot I had a copy of that. I'm hoping it can work on one of those external USB docks since this is a HP box with no CD drive.

Lock-up after 20 minutes:

Sounds like a heat issue would be my 1st guess – what are the temps of your CPU, System, HDD’s when you start up and how high do they get when it shuts down 20 minutes later?

Slow – Sluggish:

Many more possibilities here:

Were any of the new HDD’s WD AF drives? Did you use the alignment tool on those WD AF drives? – if not that can slow things way down

Running McAfee on your MSS EX490? That thing can really suck up your CPU cycles and slow your system way down

RDP in to the EX490 – how much space is available on the C: drive – my system was running slow and sluggish with only a few MB free space left on C: -- after I deleted ~11GB of old Log files it really speeded things up

Any one of your HDD’s could be going bad – can you check with CDI or any of the other available packages to check the SMART status of the HDD’s?

Do you have a KVM you can attach to your EX490 so you can attach a keyboard &monitor to watch what is going on?

IMPORTANT: Before doing anything else and before trying Recovery or Restore shut your Server down and copy your data off of each drive! Before trying anything…. Your Data is on those drives in NTFS format so it can be read and copied off of each drive individually and if you had Folder Duplication turned on your data is safe and can be gotten to even if one drive is bad. Your backup database may be toast though if you lost a HDD. If you hadn't been maintaining an up-to-date backup of all your data on the Server then get it now!

Getting your data off of individual HDD’s in you Pool – i.e. Copy the Data manually to a new location – Recover Data after Server Failure

• Like 1

Nice post JM.

I have a question. Will a KVM work on a headless unit. I never thought of trying it. What kind are you talking about; one of the Ethernet KVM's?

If all of the hardware passes diagnostics here is what to do. Remove the disks and insert a fresh disk to reinstall the OS. If the new installation is still slow it is some type of hardware issue that has to be diagnosed that previous tests missed. If it runs as should be, then it was software. Probably the OS just needed a fresh install. But that is the only way to be sure.

Nice post JM.

I have a question. Will a KVM work on a headless unit. I never thought of trying it. What kind are you talking about; one of the Ethernet KVM's?

Yes.

DSC06216x.jpgDSC06200x.jpg

JM & all,

thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Since I attacked the dust bunnies, I now typically get more than 20 minutes until frozen. But it still freezes. My challenge is I'm a PT photographer and have LOTS of photos/video so copying them off during one of the up periods is challenging.

I left the server off last night to give it a rest and cool off.

No McAfee on the server.

I'll check the C space after I power it back up. I don't think that's an issue but that's a good thing to check.

Two out of the 4 internal HDU are WD drives. How can I tell if they are AF drives? and no I didn't run the alignment tool. Didn't even know about it.. Probably came from NewEgg or whomever had the best deal at the time of need.

Checking SMART status of HD with CDI? I'm not familiar with CDI. I'll try and seach. Would be nice to know if any of them are issuing SMART alerts. Nothing in the Windows System logs...

No KVM bypass unfortunately :-(

Joem - nice idea about install on another different drive to isolate the issue. Will add that to the list as time permits.

Keep the ideas comin' - I knew I came to the right place!!

-- Dave

If you can, use a multimeter tester on the power supply wires and check for the correct voltages, etc. You can google for what readings you should get out of each wire. You want to be sure that PS is performing correctly. The symptoms you have could be a power supply issue. Power supply testers are, the ones that are in that all in one plug it in unit, will pass a PS sometimes even though it is faulty. But if it tells you it is bad you can bank on it.

Here is a tutorial that will show you and instruct you on how to do it if you have not done it before.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f210/test-your-power-supply-with-a-multi-meter-151526.html

• Like 1