RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
samuk

P410 for a Micro Server - Quick Q

samuk

No idea...but i have now gone to FW 5.70 using the current FW cd from HP.

Does anyone know how many HDD's i can install with the P410 raid controller? is it 4 in the bays + 1 (additional port on the controller?

schoondoggy

Does the different cache modules (256MB, 512MB, 1GB) enable my card to run on different SATA speeds (SATA 1,5 Gbit/sSATA 3 Gbit/s, SATA 6 Gbit/s)?

I remember that I read this somewhere but haven't succeded to found that source again...

The cache enhances performance and enables RAID 5.

The P410 runs 6G for SAS and 3G for SATA. SATA II/3G is still faster than the sustained through put of SATA III hard drives.

No idea...but i have now gone to FW 5.70 using the current FW cd from HP.

Does anyone know how many HDD's i can install with the P410 raid controller? is it 4 in the bays + 1 (additional port on the controller?

The P410 can run 8 drives.

samuk

Cool thanks..i guess i would need some kind of enclosure for another 4 drives.

would you say a Raid 5 with 8 drives..

or 2 raid 5's with 4 drives each..for best performance..?

schoondoggy

Cool thanks..i guess i would need some kind of enclosure for another 4 drives.

would you say a Raid 5 with 8 drives..

or 2 raid 5's with 4 drives each..for best performance..?

I tend to make RAID5 sets with 4-5 drives, but you can make one with all 8 if you like. It really depends on what you are doing. RAID0 would be the fastest, but if you lose a drive you lose your data. Some do a combination of RAID types depending on their needs.

syracus

Very interesting thread. Before it's growing old I'm bringing it up again ;)

I do currently have 4x WD20EARX on my P410 (latest firmware) in an HP Micro N40L (with modded bios). What I experience very regularily is, that the disk initialization of the configured RAID5 array failes sometimes on reboot, but very often on waking up (wol) from hibernation.

The boot process displays the P410 bios message for milliseconds without reacting on F8 and the operating system is starting normally.

The controller is then not visible at all. I've tested this with the ACU from the Offline DVD as well as the ACUCLI/GUI from Windows. The controller seems not to be registered to the system bios.

If this happens no LEDs on the controller card but the BBWC LED on the battery expansion is blinking (X - - X - - X - - ....).

Normally it helps to do a reboot or shutdown/restart and the controller will be available to the system (without new "Initializing XXXX" message).

All diagnostic tools (ACU, hpacucli, etc) show that the controller, cache, battery status and all disks report OK status if the controller is starting normally.

I'm really clueless at the moment into which direction to go to solve this issue.

I would think that this is related to the WDxxEARX (WD Greens) disks. Btw ... also shuffling them around in the bays didn't help.

Has anyone experienced similar issues ? What do you think about the WDxxEFRX, esp the 3TB versions ? Do they reliably work attached to the P410 in RAID5 ?

Comments would be really appreciated.

Regards

schoondoggy

Very interesting thread. Before it's growing old I'm bringing it up again ;)

I do currently have 4x WD20EARX on my P410 (latest firmware) in an HP Micro N40L (with modded bios). What I experience very regularily is, that the disk initialization of the configured RAID5 array failes sometimes on reboot, but very often on waking up (wol) from hibernation.

The boot process displays the P410 bios message for milliseconds without reacting on F8 and the operating system is starting normally.

The controller is then not visible at all. I've tested this with the ACU from the Offline DVD as well as the ACUCLI/GUI from Windows. The controller seems not to be registered to the system bios.

If this happens no LEDs on the controller card but the BBWC LED on the battery expansion is blinking (X - - X - - X - - ....).

Normally it helps to do a reboot or shutdown/restart and the controller will be available to the system (without new "Initializing XXXX" message).

All diagnostic tools (ACU, hpacucli, etc) show that the controller, cache, battery status and all disks report OK status if the controller is starting normally.

I'm really clueless at the moment into which direction to go to solve this issue.

I would think that this is related to the WDxxEARX (WD Greens) disks. Btw ... also shuffling them around in the bays didn't help.

Has anyone experienced similar issues ? What do you think about the WDxxEFRX, esp the 3TB versions ? Do they reliably work attached to the P410 in RAID5 ?

Comments would be really appreciated.

Regards

Has it always done this or is this a recent issue?

Have you tried put the standard BIOS back?

ikon

WD Red drives should work fine. They are designed for NAS/RAID use. Just be careful of DOAs and NDOAs. I always SpinRite my drives before putting them into production. Haven't had an early failure that I can recall.

syracus

@schoondoggy: The startup problems became apparent about 3-4 months ago, but the frequency of this issue seems to raise since then constantly. The server was running WHS2011 with LightsOut enabled for nearly a year now. And from time to time it happend that windows failed to start with the 'The storage configuration has changed' message. (Sorry, this is freely translated from mind from an german windows version). Since about 4 weeks it happens nearly every WOL in the morning.

@ikon: Thanks for the information. But can you please explain what DOA and NDOAs are ? ;)

The latest information is that yesterday evening my Esxi script on hpacucli reported me an write failure on disk in slot three *eek* !! I've shutdown the server since then not to loose another disk and therefore the whole RAID :( I ordered another EARX to instantly replace the failed on. Maybe the problems above have already been indicators for this. I don't know.

Anyway. Maybe the problems are gone after replacing the failed drive.

Edited by syracus

ikon

Sorry syracus:

DOA = Dead On Arrival (i.e. the drive doesn't work right out of the box).

NDOA = Nearly Dead On Arrival (i.e. the drive initially works out of the box but dies at any point within the first few months).

If a WD Red gets past the first few months, most of the time it seems to keep on running. No one seems quite sure why some of them don't last. Quite a few people suspect poor quality control, but that's not certain.