RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
samuk

P410 for a Micro Server - Quick Q

LoneWolf

Schoondoggy is right on attempting to use the same drives.

My personal thoughts --I'm not a fan of Seagate drives any longer.  This was not always the case, but after having two of three 7200.11 1.5TB drives fail within a year (word on the street being that the drive design had issues, and that's not including several firmware bugs Seagate did fix) increased reports of failures since the Thailand floods (anecdotal, I'll admit), and Seagate shortening their warranties, I'd only use certain drives from them (e.g., enterprise drives and other 5-year warranty units such as the Momentus XT notebook drives).

I was using Samsung's F4 HD204UI 2TB drives after my Seagate 7200.11 issues, but Seagate has purchased Samsung's storage division, and rather than continuing to produce the same drives, is now making Seagate drives and slapping Samsung models/labels on them, so I cannot obtain the same drives any more..  Reports on the new drives from people who have had both indicate that users are not nearly as happy with them as they were with Samsung's units.

At this point, I have three of the original F4 HD204UI drives (which have been faultless), and a WD Red 2TB drive in my RAID-5 array.  Western Digital has a year longer warranty on the Reds than Seagate does on equivalent drives, has a better RMA process if you have an issue (I've used both, and WD is the only company left offering advanced-replacement RMA at no charge), and Western Digital Red drives support TLER (Time-Limited Error Recovery), which is important when running drives in a RAID array.  Should any of the Samsung drives go on me, I will replace them with WD Reds..

Edited by LoneWolf

ikon

It's interesting that the people at BackBlaze are very partial to Hitachi drives, particularly certain models. The have updated the list of drives they use to include some others, including Reds, but I get the impression Hitachi is still their first love:

4 TB drives

• Hitachi – HDS5C4040ALE630 (Just starting to use these, but they look good.)
  • 3 TB drives

• Hitachi- HDS5C3030ALA630 (low power)
  • Hitachi – HDS723030ALA640 (high power)
  • Western Digital – WDC WD30EFRX‑68AX9N0 (RED)
  • Seagate – ST3000DM001‑9YN166 (slightly higher failure rate)

I think I'm more inclined to believe these guys over google regarding disk drives. For one, they seem to really pay attention to vibration, something I've harped on over the years.

schoondoggy

With only three disk drive manufacturers it is tough to know what drive is designed or manufactured by who. The Hitachi designed and manufactured drives are still out there, but WD is consolidating. Some of the new Toshiba 3.5 drives look like Hitachi designs, maybe a partnership between WD and Toshiba? The most reliable drive vendors for me have been Samsung, Hitachi, Toshiba and Fujitsu, but the sample size is small in comparison to the number of WD and Seagate drives I have used. The one thing Google's drive testing confirms, sometimes a family/model of drives is just not reliable. 

ikon

I agree about the family/model issue. I've particularly noticed with several Seagate models and the WD Green.

LoneWolf

I've had some good Hitachi drives as well, but never used any of their power-conscious models.  As WD owns HGST now, my thoughts usually come from a perspective of whether the designs will stay Hitachi (it appears they have so far) and whether I'll still be able to obtain the same drive during a reasonable time period (something that the Samsung/Seagate bit has made me conscious of).

As for Toshiba, I've never had reliability issues with their drives (though I've only really used notebook models), but I haven't found them to be standout performers.

Side note:  Do Hitachi and Toshiba have drives that support TLER/CCTL/ERC without going SAS?

ikon

One would hope that WD management would insist that the best of both company's technologies be combined in future models. It may be a forlorn hope, but I hope it anyway. :)

samuk

Picking up on my original post...

I have finally got around to installing the P410 into my NL40 server.

I have gone into the BIOS by pressing F8 at bootup…and at the top it says version 8.30.08.00 – is this the bios version?

As there I see it as version 6.0?   http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3883931&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3883890&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4040

Am I doing looking at the wrong place?

See here:

Firmware - Storage Controller

Edited by samuk

samuk

got it thanks..im on 3.66

downloading the current fimrware cd to update this.. 

Micco

Does the different cache modules (256MB, 512MB, 1GB) enable my card to run on different SATA speeds (SATA 1,5 Gbit/sSATA 3 Gbit/s, SATA 6 Gbit/s)?

I remember that I read this somewhere but haven't succeded to found that source again...

Edited by Micco