RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

6 disk N40l - Slow read/write speed

UKJamesH

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some help with my Microserver.

I've got a N40l with 6 x 1TB disks using the modified BIOS. I've got 4 disks in the bays, 1 on the ODD port , 1 on the eSata port and a 16GB usb pen for the OS. 2GB of RAM

I originally started to play around with this box about a year ago but after getting poor performance with no obvious reason(To me anyway :) ) I put it away.

I've since moved into a new house and would like to get the box up and running for media sharing but mainly for storage for a Two node ESXi Cluster. Last night I powered the box up, the last thing that I installed on it was Openfiler x64 2.99.2. The 6 disks were configured in a raid 5 array. Using dd I done a couple of 1GB test writes and I was getting around 40Mb/s... I'm no expert but I think thats a little bit on the slow side? Shouldn't a single disk get around 100Mb/s ??? I then installed Freenas 8.3 and configured the disks in a RAIDZ array as it was the only option. I know that 2GB isn't really enough for ZFS but I thought I'd give it ago. The performance with dd was still poor barely getting over 60Mb/s.

I'm hope it's because I've got a BIOS setting wrong or a lack of RAM.

So my question is... What sort of performance should be achievable with 6 disks? The disks are all 1TB 32MB cache Samsung 7200rpm.

I may get some more ram once pay day comes round, that is if I can bypass the boss(girlfriend) :)

Thanks

James

You mention installing the Mod BIOS, but you don't say if you actually went into the BIOS and made the changes to the SATA ports to get SATA II speeds.

You mention installing the Mod BIOS, but you don't say if you actually went into the BIOS and made the changes to the SATA ports to get SATA II speeds.

The only settings I can remember changing was - Embedded SATA Link Rate to 3.0Gbps Max.

Is there any other BIOS settings I need to make? That could affect the disk performance?

That's great to hear. I couldn't remember the exact settings to change - Joe_Miner is the expert. One thing I recall is making sure AHCI mode is selected, but be careful, IIRC there may be issues changing to AHCI after the OS is installed. I would search the forums or use Bing or Google to find the posts.

There is definitely an issue. If OS is already installed there is a registry hack but it is best to reinstall.

There is definitely an issue. If OS is already installed there is a registry hack but it is best to reinstall.

Thanks bud. Thought so, but great to have it confirmed.