RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 as VM inside Windows 8 server

urik

That is definitely a good point. I need to create a budget for a UPS. Which UPS do you recommend?

I'm using a CyberPower True SineWave UPS, like this or this for my WHS2011. You can see a picture of mine here. The post with the photo is about 3/4 of the way down the page.

I'm using a CyberPower True SineWave UPS, like this or this for my WHS2011. You can see a picture of mine here. The post with the photo is about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Thanks! How do those compare against APC and Tripp Lite UPSs?

Also any more thoughts on the whole Windows 8 as home server setup? With the WHS 2011 in VM?

The thing about those 2 CyberPower units is that they put out true sinewave AC. All other consumer grade UPSes that I've seen put out square ware power, which you can't actually call AC. In the past. this didn't matter so much because the power supplies were pretty tolerant. New PSUs, at least the PFC ones, are considerably more demanding about the power you feed to them - they're kinda power connoisseurs :) AFAIK, neither APC nor TrippLite produce true sinewave UPSes in the consumer price range.

re: Win8 and VM, I don't really recommend it but, if I was to do it, I would use HyperV, since it's now supported by Win8.

Paul Therrott has a nice write-up on using Windows 8 Pro as a “home server”. If all of your clients are Win 8 machines it could be workable.

But, If you want to maintain the functionality of remote media playback, etc. – you really should consider either sticking with WHS-2011 or upgrading to S2012E. Running WHS-2011 in Hyper-V on Win8Pro will increase your complexity (you’ll have to do more to maintain it also) and add failure points to your system (though at least Hyper-V is about as bullet proof as they come).

You might also achieve the remote functionality you’re looking for via SkyDrive on you Win8Pro “home Server” – by installing SkyDrive and turning on it’s ability to let you get to things in other folders on you machine that aren’t directly on you SkyDrive shares.

You could also do like Therrott and install LogMeIn Hamachi on your Win8Pro “home server”.

= = =

On a Windows 8 PRO machine you can turn on the Hyper-V function (be sure you have the HW to support it) and run anything on that machine that can run in Hyper-V – and I have done it in Windows 8 Pro on my Z77 and has the same functionality as S2012 that I’m running now except for the Server Backup in S2012. Check the Forums – a LOT of people have run and many still run WHS-2011 in Hyper-V -- but they are running in the Stand alone, bare metal, Hyper-V or in Hyper-V with a GUI Host being S2008R2, S2012, or I've done it in S2012StorageSvrStd. I’ve also run Hyper-V on both my MicroServer’s at one time or another including running WHS-2011 with 2 3TB drives passed through SATA ports directly to WHS-2011. Read about it in the section titled: 3TB Drive Performance on MicroServer & Hyper-V Pass Thru.

Host OS – while 64GB will work for now I wouldn’t get anything less than 120 or 240GB – never know what you may want or need to do a year from now.

For your VM’s drive (a separate drive from your Host OS Drive where you’ll load your VM OS Drives – VHD’s) you’ll want something also fast – as fast as you can afford. I’m using a 3TB ST3000MD001 because it’s fast and the 3TB gave me room for LOTS of VM’s – a better choice (more $) might be a WD 600GB or 1TB velocity Raptor – on the MicroServers I used a 2TB WD Black Drive just because that was the fastest drive I had available at the time. A lot of people run WHS-2011 in VM’s – with Hyper-V it’s easy to pass SATA drives thru to the VM – you could pass 3 or 4 SATA drives thru to create a drive pool plus another pass thru for a backup drive if you want or you could create a large storage spaces pool in W8Pro and carve VHD’s to give your VM(s). Of course a nice thing about VHD’s is that if you set them dynamic they only take up as much space as the data on them.

If you were going with a MicroServer I’d say stick with 8GB ECC RAM (16GB isn’t officially supported by HP and 16GB ECC is expensive) to be safe (this is your data you’re protecting) but if you’re doing a DYI I wouldn’t go with anything less than 16GB (RAM is SOOO cheap!) and would seriously consider 32GB for a Hyper-V box.

For your basic file server functions you don’t need a lot of CPU power (N40L) -- but if you get into add-on’s that drink up the CPU cycles you may need to get some hefty CPU (N54L, i5, …).

Update:

Also, check out this thread http://www.mediasmar...&p=94464#p94464

Update2:

Listen to BYOB Episode #107 and take lots of notes

Edited by Joe_Miner

Wow thanks for the super-detailed reply. I'm slowly digesting all the info. Any clue why Terry Walsh recommends using OpenBox rather than Hyper-V? KInda seems weird to me...

Gotta mention that I am on a fairly tight budget. I already upgraded from 4GB RAM to 8GB. Don't see myself being able to go to 16GB anytime soon. Only question is how to allocate it? Terry Walsh recommends giving the host Win8 OS 6 GB and the virtual WHS2011 machine 2GB. While I see his point if all WHS2011 is doing is daily client backups, it may get a little trickier if I'm adding remote media streaming into the mix. For the moment, I don't see a better solution to remote media streaming than the native Silverlight-based one in WHS2011. So would a 4GB / 4GB split be more appropriate? Please chime in with your thoughts.

Edited by urik

In the Hyper-V settings for your WHS-2011 VM set your start-up memory to 2GB with dynamic memory allocation turned on -- Hyper-V will grab the RAM it needs for your VM according to the workload. It'll use 2GB when it's starting up but after that it will only use what it needs.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817651(v=ws.10).aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines

Awesome, thanks! What's your take on remote media streaming? What do you recommend? I like the options offered by WHS2011. Do you? Do you foresee and hickups arising from the following scenario: video files added to Windows 8 from clients via File History being immediately available to WHS2011 remote media streaming.

What's your take on remote media streaming? What do you recommend?

I don’t do it. i.e. I don’t stream outside of the Network inside my house. I view it as a potential security hole. With Dropbox and Skydrive I can share family pictures and video’s.

Many in the Forum's do it and are quite happy with it -- I don't have the compelling need.

I do like the potential of VPN in S2012E but I’m months away from seriously working with that. There are many trail blazers in the Forums in that area and I try to follow all their postings.

I like the options offered by WHS2011. Do you?

My main production machine was WHS-V1 for a very long time and I had been running WHS2011 in Hyper-V mostly for testing for many months. When I feared that my V1 was about to crash I moved WHS2011 to bare-metal and made it a production machine.

Do you foresee and hickups arising from the following scenario: video files added to Windows 8 from clients via File History being immediately available to WHS2011 remote media streaming.

Trying to share videos with WHS2011 by some mechanism that access File History in another machine(s) running Windows 8 seems rather convoluted to me – personally I wouldn’t waste my time. When I load pictures and video’s from my Camera’s to my system at my desktop or laptop they are loaded directly into my Server Shares making them instantly available to everything on my home network and Allways Sync automatically duplicates them to my other Server and CrashPlan starts copying them offsite. The pictures and Video’s I think are worth sharing with “family” I copy to either DropBox or SkyDrive to folders that are already shared with relatives and if my wife wishes to share a photo or video with a friend she’ll send them a link to the media file via her iPad. Works for me but YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Made some further changes to my build. First of all, I'm replacing the current Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P motherboard for the ASRock 770 Extreme3. This will give me some USB 3.0 and eSata ports, as well as some Sata3 internal connectors. First problem: I know that this is going to sound like a complete noob issue, but all the motherboards that I had previously used in my builds all came with a VGA port. The ASRock 770 Extreme3 comes with something called the HDMI_SPDIF header - what the heck is that? Will I need a video card just to get a monitor to work on this thing?

As mentioned above, I currently have a 1 TB and a 2 TB drive. I'm leaning towards letting the 1 TB drive house the data for all my clients, while relegating the 2 TB drive for backup. The 2 TB drive will house the File History backups for all my clients, the WHS2011 Virtual Machine with its nightly client image backups, and the Windows 8 server's own nightly image backup (including the 1 TB data drive) which will be performed by the Windows 8 OS's own "Windows 7 File Recovery - System Image" scheduler.

Down the road, I may add some redundancy into the mix with another 1 TB (preferably the WD Red) drive to use in conjunction with the current 1 TB drive and 2 TB (preferably the WD Red) drive to use in conjunction with the current 2 TB drive in Storage Spaces Two-way mirrors (for a total of two pools - 1TB data pool and a 2TB backup pool.

I'm still mulling all of this over. What do you think?

P.S. As for remote media streaming, I think that I'll just use Plex...

P.P.S. I'm also kinda paranoid in case either the PSU or the Moboard somehow kill the hard drives. Do I protect myself in this case with an external (all-encompasing) 3 TB drive that'll run backups of both the "Data" and "Backup" pools via eSata or USB 3.0?