RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver USB sound card

cw-kid

Now to get sound working on the little Microserver, the cheap USB sound card I bought off ebay doesn't seem to be working :o Its added a new Generic USB Audio Device in device manager but I've got no playback devices in the Windows Sound dialogue.

EDIT: The ebay seller just contacted me, is going to send a replacement unit. Not sure that is the problem but worth a try.

Using teracopy at the moment to transfer the files from WHS V1 to WHS 2011 box over the LAN, not used teracopy program before seems quite good!

Edited by cw-kid

Hi

Yeah I tried the USB Sound Card on my Win7 laptop and it installed and worked OK, there is no driver disc it just Plugs and Plays. I did start the Audio services on the the WHS 2011 box but still no playback device. Maybe there is something in the BIOS on the HP Microserver to enable? Or maybe it just doesn't work on Windows Server 2008 R2 aka WHS 2011. .

I can confirm that CM119 Bounding Chipset USB Sound Card is now working with WHS 2011 on the HP Microserver N40L. Must have been something to do with me being connected via RDP or that fact I hadn't rebooted the server. I didn't need to change any settings in the BIOS. I've not tested the sound quality properly yet, connected to the amplifier and the speakers but it works through some head phones OK. I doubt the quality is amazing for two quid but if I can play music in the kitchen when washing up Ill be happy, using SqueezeSlave emulator on the WHS and the Logitech Squeezebox apps on mobile devices.

$T2eC16JHJIYE9qUcNbUqBQ3jRdUsWw~~60_35.JPG

Why would you need a sound card in a home server?

Why not ?

My Home Server lives in the cupboard under my stairs, this cupboard is next to the kitchen. I also have an old Cambridge Audio amplifier in the cupboard that is connected to a pair of Cambridge Audio speakers mounted above the kitchen units. So the WHS server box acts as an audio zone for my kitchen. I could have bought a Logitech Squeezebox receiver to do this job, but if I can do it for free in software all the better.

I think this blog post here was what originally got me in to using Logitech Squeezebox / SqueezeSlave software and the various remote control apps like iPeng.

Unfortunately Logitech in their wisdom have decided to stop producing the actual hardware Squeezebox devices but I believe the associated My Squeezebox software and services will have continued support from Logitech.

Ideally I'd like a whole home Sonos system but that ain't gonna happen as its just too expensive.

Looking at getting some Apple TV's to run XBMC in the future, so maybe I can do some kinda zoned audio system based off that hardware?

For something that's dirt-cheap, that USB sound adapter is sure is mighty versatile. Toyed around with it last year and used it along with an old Asus router to hack up a ghetto Internet radio. lol Just pure boredom in action.

For something that's dirt-cheap, that USB sound adapter is sure is mighty versatile. Toyed around with it last year and used it along with an old Asus router to hack up a ghetto Internet radio. lol Just pure boredom in action.

Nice! I did just notice on the SqueezeSlave download page there are versions for OpenWRT. Also note the last two versions of SqueezeSlave for Windows don't seem to be working for me, I am currently using version - squeezeslave-1.2-379. Older downloads can been see here.