RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V Requirements

Technogod

Does anybody know why I can run Hyper-V on Server 2012 but not on Windows 8 Pro? Windows 8 Pro requires a Second Level Address Translation enabled processor before it will let me enable Hyper-V. Why doesn't Server 2012 have this same requirement? Is there a way to bypass this requirement? FYI I was unable to start a new topic under Virtualization/Hyper-V.

Edited by Technogod

I couldn't make heads or tails why MS would be more restrictive with hardware running Hyper-V on a client OS. I would think that maybe, since you tend to interact more with a client host than a server host, you'd need the performance-enhancing features of SLAT?

But what you're saying is essentially what this guy said... http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=12679

Edited by oj88

Have a look at this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V. Search the page for Graphics issues on the host. Apparently, SLAT is involved with graphics. I suspect WS2012 doesn't need SLAT because MS mandated that WSxxxx only support VGA graphics, so SLAT isn't needed. SLAT is built into WS since WS2008, so it appears it's possible to have better graphics on WS if a SLAT CPU is intalled, but it's not required because VGA is the video standard for servers. The same can't be said for Win8; most people would want better graphics.

And apparently, the requirements for SLAT support are quite low.... My Core i3 HP Touchsmart tm2 tablet runs Hyper V... not well, mind you. It's only 1.3GHz, and the onboard video is probably "barely enough".