RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drivebender on WS2012E

revengineer

After getting my external USB 3 enclosure to talk to my server, I am now ready for experimenting with data storage. I like the file level duplication from the DE days, so I would prefer using Drivebender over Storage Spaces. Does anyone here use this? What is your experience with this product?

Thanks in advance for the input!

I actually have licenses for both, bought them during early beta because I was thankful that some was picking up Microsoft's slack. So in principal I do not care which one I use as long as the solution is reliable.

The reason I opted for Driverbender is that I want to move my server NOW. I have put off moving my v1 so long that I skipped WHS 2011. Now the system is aging and the data ask to be moved. Drivebender has a stable version now while DrivePool's first beta is just about to come around the corner. I am not sure I am ready to trust the my data to the first beta of this utility.

I have played with Drivebender over the last days and in principal it seems to do what it claims to. But if someone has some extended usage experience or even a disaster recovery experience that would be great to know.

That's a good point. 'Course, the way they both work, it seems likely that you could start out with one and then switch to the other. At least, as I understand it, they both sit on top of NTFS and don't affect the underlying file structure, so removing one of them should not destroy anything.

That's an idea. And if the two programs are compatible, I may even be able to move seamlessly between the two pools.

I like Alex stuff, but he is a perfectionist, so final versions take a little longer. I guess that's a good thing when it comes to our data.

I found today that his scanner beta version is not compatible with drive bender on ws2013e.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

That's a decent reason to stick with CoveCube; no doubt he will ensure Stablebit Scanner and DrivePool will at least be compatible with each other, if not enhance one or the other or both.

The current stable version of the StableBit products to intergrate already. Namely, DrivePool will evacuate drive if it's failing (by default) or (if you enable it) has SMART errors. So great cooperation. Not to mention, that you get a $10 discount if you purchase licenses for both.