RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
schoondoggy

Wireless Access point with concurrent dual radio

schoondoggy

I finally have given up on a 3COM AP9552 due to connectivity issues on the 5ghz band.

I am testing one of these;

http://www.engeniusnetworks.com/product/product.php?c=10&s=24&p=95

So far so good.

Easy setup and lots of features. Range is good and no connection issues on the 5ghz band.

Plus I sold the 3COM for more than the EAP600 cost. :)

and I hit send before finishing my post.

Anyone have expirience good or bad with Engenius?

ikon

I've had mixed results with Engenius. I find it depends on which device you're using.

ikon

I love Ubiquiti. The stuff is built incredibly well and the prices are unbelievably low. And, you can run 3rd party firmware on their units.

schoondoggy

So far the EAP600 is working well. The issue I was having with my Surface RT and Motorola XYboard tablets on 5ghz(limited connectivity when resuming from standby) is gone. We have a two story house, I had planned to place it in the middle of the first floor to cover as much of the house as possible. This is a ceiling mount unit and its coverage is definitely pointing down. I currently have it in the middle of the second floor and the 2.4ghz coverage is great and 5ghz is good. Much better than the 3COM I had been using. I may need to add a second AP to the first floor to get better coverage in the basement.The configuration software on the AP is fairly straightforward, but I had a bit of frustration/confusion with the 'apply' button when changing a feature and the 'save/restore' button at the top of the menu. You need to click the 'save/restore' button for your changes to be saved even if you have been applying your changes at each screen and it does not prompt you to save your changes when you exit. :angry: I am not quite ready to give it a thumbs up, need to run it in house for a while, but so far so good.

While I was in Denver this week, two network engineers that work on my team were discussing Ubiquiti. They had used there point to point wireless product in commercial applications and agreed it is great product.

ikon

Your experience with the Save and Apply buttons sounds familiar. I recall adopting a strategy of Saving on every page when I made changes to be sure they 'stuck'. I'm surprised Engenius hasn't fixed this since it's been a number of years since I worked with their stuff. I mostly worked with this unit: http://www.xpcgear.com/eoc3220p.html. I wasn't terribly impressed. The ratings on epinions.com pretty much reflect my own, 2 out of 5 stars :P

schoondoggy

No need for a second AP.

Last night I finished mounting the AP on the ceiling in the middle of the second floor.

Using my Surface RT to test the 5Ghz signal, on the second floor I get 270-240Mbps, first floor 240-120Mbps and in the basement 120-60.

Testing 2.4Ghz, second floor 135-108Mbps, first floor 108-81Mbps, basement 81-27Mbps.

ikon

That sounds pretty decent. Thanks for posting back.