RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using an older MediaSmart Server to backup a MediaSmart Server ?

phatguy29

I have the fortune of owning two MediaSmart Servers (EX486 and EX495), both running WHS V1. I am in the process of moving off of the EX486 to the EX495. Once that has been accomplished, I would like to repurpose the EX486 as a backup for the EX495, perhaps using something like Acronis.

Anyone willing weigh in on options, software, etc. I am a DBA by trade so the pros and cons of backing up are well known. What I am lacking is the WHS partner options to make this a reality (I spend my time on Solaris trying to get Oracle to behave, or at least stop giving me the finger :D )

Thanx in advance for your expertise and time.

So you have 2 working Mediasmart servers that are running WHSv1 sitting in the same location on the same network? Use Robocopy (or something similar) to duplicate your data from your primary system to the secondary system.

I thought of that as well. I could even write something using VBS. I guess I was looking for a more "packaged" solution. I don't have a lot of free time to manage the exceptions or write a wrapper to tell me when one exists.

Unless this already exists...

I would set up a RoboCopy batch file to do this, triggered by a Scheduled Task. The RoboCopy command would create a log file of the procedure. All Way Sync, CrashPlan, and others can do this too. It's up to you as to which you would prefer.