RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Utilizing an extra NAS w/ WHS

byronomo

Prior to fully implementing WHS, I was using a 1TB Buffalo LinkStation Mini as my primary data/media storage.

Now my WHS w/ around 6TB of storage is serving that function (w/ file duplication on critical stuff). I now find myself suffering from the WHS-paranoia that seems to hit most WHS users---what if my WHS motherboard dies? or what if the system drive fails? etc.

So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to utilize this little NAS (I like the device a lot) to (re)backup key files (documents, family photos/videos). In a perfect world, it would automatically back up specific directories in real time.

In the real world, however, I'll probably have to take what I can get. Any thoughts on how I can utilize this NAS to accomplish this (clearly I'm trying to avoid just going w/ cloud or buying ANOTHER storage device)?

Thanks in advance!

Does that NAS have USB? If so, you can just plug it in and use it as a non-pooled backup drive. I don't know if WHS can do those over the network though.

I do not know of anyway to do a real "backup" however you can use a sync program to copy critical stuff to your NAS. I used to do that to a D-link DNS. Ultimately I gave up as it was too slow for my taste.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Are their any sync programs that you'd recommend. I use SyncToy 2.0 for some stuff and I like the simplicity of it. I just wish that there was a built-in scheduling function that would let it do its thing in the background without having to use thw windows scheduler.

How about using robocopy? It has a "monitoring" that will always be running and syncing changed/added files. Either that, or just have it scheduled to run every morning or something.

• 3 weeks later...