RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cw-kid

RWA - Pictures appear I don't want to see them, how to remove?

diehard

Unfortunately Microsoft has not implemented the RWA media stuff very well. I feel it's an unpolished product. And when it comes to Libraries, files must be indexed and this could take a while. I'm disappointed that when I open WMP11 it has to index the files and I have to wait, really ? Why isn't this done in the background. Also as you mentioned, if images are in the Videos folder, why do they show up in my Media Pictures view ? "You have your chocolate in my peanut butter". Originally there was a bug in WHS2011 that replaced all your Music metadata with online metadata, folks were not happy, again, unpolished. Also this is the only way you will see your content if your using the Windows 8 Video Metro app.

cw-kid

This seems to have sorted itself out? Dont think its anything I have done. I copied all my photos from my old WHS V1 box to the new WHS 2011 box and now when I look at the pictures library in RWA on the WHS 2011 box I dont see those movie related .jpg images anymore, I can only see my photo folders that are in the photos library so at the moment it looks to be correct, will keep an eye on it!

Thanks

cw-kid

Had to be too good to be true, I am seeing this error now when clicking in to the Pictures Library in RWA and its loading everything up.

MediaLibraryError.jpg

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

Diehard is being polite when he writes that Microsoft has not implemented the RWA media stuff very well.

Not to put too fine a point on it, it's a great steaming pile of dingos' kidneys.

Hi Gcoupe

Yes I did actually read your blog about it recently.

Microsoft needs decent software testers for the media stuff, who know how real systems in the home would work. I could find more bugs than they do and indeed I did on the 7MC beta. You should have seen the length of the forum posts about it all on the old green button. Luckily back then the ehome team actually listened and allot of the issues I found were resolved as a result. The Windows 8 no public beta thing has been a joke, I have not installed Window 8 on to any of my HTPCs the new media stuff in Metro is just total CRAP. Currently working on migrating away from MCE to Linux Ubuntu / XBMC when I get this new WHS 2011 server all finished.

gcoupe
The Windows 8 no public beta thing has been a joke.

If you mean the MCE in Windows 8, then I agree completely. Windows 8 itself has been out for public beta since last February.

But then, it's quite clear that Microsoft has no interest in MCE any more. They will probably put it out of its misery in the next year or two and pull it from the market. It's sad really. Microsoft were far ahead of the curve when MCE first arrived, but they've never bothered to invest in it. They've not even bothered to reinvent it using the Modern UI APIs; what they have is, as you say, total crap...

cw-kid

It wasn't a proper beta was it, like Windows 7 was. Public preview with no feedback on your comments submitted, which is why I never bothered with Windows 8 other than installing the first preview release for a quick look at Media Center.

ikon

To be honest, I didn't consider the Win7 beta to be a proper one either; better than Win8 for sure, but not as good as XP. Even the Vista beta was better than Win7. Did I really just say that? :rolleyes:

gcoupe

Well, while I agree that direct feedback to publically submitted bugs was sparse, I know from personal experience that one of my bugs was picked up on and fixed for the final release. And that was the "Play to" bug. So, while feedback might have been absent, I think that bugs were considered seriously.

ikon

I just wish more of the bugs had been picked up ;)