RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

100GB of Cloud Storage for $3.99 per Month!

GDog

Go to http://www.cubby.com and click on "Special Beta Pricing". The "Pro" version is being offered for $3.99/Mo for 100GB. That's 4-Cents per GB if I got my math right! Additional 100GB chunks can be purchased for $3.99 each. That would be $40/Mo for a Terabyte!

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this - I haven't seen anything even close to this anywhere else. If anyone has seen a better deal than this one I would sure like to know about it.

I just stumbled on this when I logged into my LogMeIn account. Cubby is owned & operated by LogMeIn so I would think it would be pretty secure and reliable.

Good Luck!

GDog

Thanks everyone for your comments re this. You responded exactly as I hoped you would - with alternative storage plans in the same general price range. I did not pull that trigger last night because I wanted to hear what some of you guys had to say. Crashplan seems to be the preferred option. I looked over the link provided by Mr_smartepants, but I still have a couple of questions for those well versed with the Unlimited plan:

1. Is "Unlimited" truly unlimited? IOW, if I tried to upload 300GB of data, would it let me?
  2. Does it throttle the user back after a certain amount of usage over a certain amount of time?
  3. Can I subscribe my WHS box directly to the plan, or will it allow uploads from Shares?
  4. Can it be used like Dropbox? Or, like most plans, requires special software?
  5. Are there any restrictions on File Sizes?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the information.

GDog

Thanks everyone for your comments re this. You responded exactly as I hoped you would - with alternative storage plans in the same general price range. I did not pull that trigger last night because I wanted to hear what some of you guys had to say. Crashplan seems to be the preferred option. I looked over the link provided by Mr_smartepants, but I still have a couple of questions for those well versed with the Unlimited plan:

1. Is "Unlimited" truly unlimited? IOW, if I tried to upload 300GB of data, would it let me?
  2. Does it throttle the user back after a certain amount of usage over a certain amount of time?
  3. Can I subscribe my WHS box directly to the plan, or will it allow uploads from Shares?
  4. Can it be used like Dropbox? Or, like most plans, requires special software?
  5. Are there any restrictions on File Sizes?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the information.

GDog

1 My experience is yes. I have over 1.5 TB of data on their cloud.

2 I have not experienced any throttling.

3 I upload from shares.

4 No because the files are packaged differently when backed up and you can not see any of it through the crashplan website.

5 I don't know for sure but given I have home video backed up I am going to say no there are no limits.

ImTheTypeOfGuy: Thank you! I have to say, based on your answers to my questions that CrashPlan looks like a better deal. I'm going to do a little more checking into the Cubby option, but right now, it's looking like CrashPlan is the way to go.

Thanks again,

-GDog