RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

some backup questions on whs2011...

capall

Hi all,

I have a couple of whs 2011 backup questions that hopefully I can get some help on

1. I have an old laptop that is ready for the scrap heap, for which I kept its data local when using it. But now that I have a whs2011server, I have copied all its data onto the server and will use the server as the central storage location for all my data. However, I'd like to do a one time backup with whs2011 for archive purposes (in case of some bizarre natural disaster where I lose everything but the old laptop). Can you create a single one time image of the drive instead of using the server backup utility, which is intended for clients being currently used, and will produce alerts when it can't do subsequent backups.

OR am I being far too paranoid here, and should just be confident that I have copied all its data (using allway sync) to the server and by happy with the server copy, my cloud copy and my external USB drive copy.

2. In reading about backups, I've become confused. If I have a client that is being backed up once a day, then after 30 days i would have 30 backup files. I've read that backup 1 is a complete backup, and backups 2-30 will only contain changes from the previous backup, thus saving server space by not repeating backup 1 30 times. Hence, you can delete intermediate backups to regain some server space. For example, in this case, backups 2-29 could be deleted. If I do this, how will the last backup contain the info to restore changes that were backed up in backups 2-29.

To summarize my Q

After the first backup is done, does EACH and ALL subsequent backups contain ALL changes since the FIRST backup? hence allowing you to delete the intermediate backups, meaning that you effectively only need to keep the first backup and the most current backup?

Thanks

1) data is what it's all about. If you've got 3 copies of your data, 1 of them offsite, I think you're good to go.

2) I've never had any problem deleting intermediate backups; I'm still able to restore from a later backup.

BTW, you're not quite right about WHS backups. WHS uses something called Single Instance Storage. It's more advanced than simple Incremental backups. The system breaks the data into chunks and indexes them. It does the same for all its client computers. When it finds indentical chunks from 2 different clients it only keeps 1 copy, but it keeps track of which clients own that chunk. It won't allow the chunk to be deleted until all clients have reliquished their claims to it. This saves a ton of space. Think of all the programs and system files on each Windows computer that are identical. MS estimates that many environments can save 80% in backup storage space.

thanks gcoupe, however that document was released in 2008 hence will be for whs v1.

Thanks ikon, yes had read about the single instance feature and how it save space by its backup method. But I still don't understand how I can delete intermediate backups and be able to restore the full PC for primarily data but also apps.

I haven't looked closely at this since I was running WHSv1 so my memory's a little fuzzy. IIRC, I think I concluded that the backups are not Incremental, at least not in the traditional sense. I think they have to be some variation on Differential Backup.

thanks gcoupe, however that document was released in 2008 hence will be for whs v1.

It's the same engine that is used in WHS 2011. So it still applies.