RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sans Digital enclosure not working on WS 2012

revengineer

Hi guys,

I could use some serious hardware help getting my WS 2012 server to talk to my Sans Digital drive enclosure. I have a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 motherboard, which has onboard USB 2 and USB 3 ports. The USB 3 is driven by the ETRON chipset. I also have Sans Digital TR4UTBPN USB 3 plus eSata enclosure. This enclosure works great on my Windows 7 box, but for the heck of it I cannot get it to work on my WS 2012 Essentials server.

What do I mean with "not work"? Well, the drives seem to be recognized in the disk manager and explorer. However, when trying to format I get an error stating that "The format did not complete successfully". So I formatted the drive on my Windows 7 PC. The drive does then show up in the server and gets a drive letter but copying any files to it fails. I have gotten other messages that the disk is read-only and I used the diskpart recipe to the clear the attribute without success. It really is a mess and I have no clue what is going on.

I also tried using USB 2 ports instead but the result is the same. Finally, I tried fiddeling with the USB Storage BIOS setting, likewise without success.

I had the exact same problem when trying to connect this enclosure to my Mediasmart WHS v1 server. This was a year ago and Sans Digital support had no clue. If the enclosure would not work on my W7 box I would think it is broken. But it does, so I am puzzled.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be the issue? Would getting another USB 3 adapter with Renesas/NEC chipset resolve the issue? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It must have been 12 months ago I was having disconnect issues on USB3 on a server. I don't remember whose card I was using, but I swapped it out for this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815140001&Tpk=usb3%20card%20western%20digital and the issues went away. These use the NEC chipset all of my computers have this card, except for one that has a Rosewill card with the NEC chipset. I have had no issues with NEC based cards. Plus if I remember correctly the WD cards do not require the extra power connector.

thanks for the reply. Do you have this card running in a windows server?

Reason I am asking is that I just blasted an image of Windows 7 on the "server" machine (yes, I erased the WS 2012 installation) and using the same driver everything works perfectly. I have two drives formatting simultaneously. This eliminates the MoBo or the USB 3 ETRON chip being at fault.

The driver I am using is the v1.0.0.0015 driver, which is for Windows 7/8. There does not seem to be a separate server version of the driver.

I, too, have the WD card, and it's working well for me. I got it based on Joe_Miner's experience with it. I think it would be worthwhile getting 1 of these cards.

I, too, have the WD card, and it's working well for me. I got it based on Joe_Miner's experience with it. I think it would be worthwhile getting 1 of these cards.

Thanks, ikon, the card is already on order (you can tell I am desperate). I still would like to confirm whether you guys have this working in a server environment. If someone has this card working on WS 2012 that would let me sleep tight tonight... :-)

Same card as I used in Installing Windows Server 2012 Essentials on a HP N40L ProLiant MicroServer -- check parts list -- I didn't need to install the WD drivers, S2012E picked it up no problem -- I suspect that if it works in S2012E then S2012 should be no problem. I think I also had it working in S2012StorageServerStd and S2012ReleaseCandidate before that but I don't remember for sure if I had a 3.0 card in there yet.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Same card as I used in Installing Windows Server 2012 Essentials on a HP N40L ProLiant MicroServer -- check parts list -- I didn't need to install the WD drivers, S2012E picked it up no problem -- I suspect that if it works in S2012E then S2012 should be no problem. I think I also had it working in S2012StorageServerStd and S2012ReleaseCandidate before that but I don't remember for sure if I had a 3.0 card in there yet.

Thank you , thank you, thank you, this is great news. Now I just hope that the proper functioning of the card is independent from the motherboard BIOS. (Gigabyte's fix is to enable xHCI in the BIOS; problem is my BIOS does not have this setting...)

Note on the side: The Windows 7 formatting did not complete as the USB 3 drive disconnected after formatting 10% of the drive. This seems to be a common ETRON chip problem. I am running Renesas/NEC chip on a card at work without issues after disabling all the sleep functions.

Will report back when the card arrives (hopefully before the weekend).

Will report back when the card arrives (hopefully before the weekend).

Ok, less than 48 hours after the order, Newegg has delivered with free shipping. Just put the card in (no driver installation required) and, voila, the enclosure with drives is properly recognized, the drives have been formatting for the past 60 minutes. I think this is going to work.

Thank you so much for the great recommendation!

Edited by revengineer