RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Keeping track of drives

revengineer

Hi,

Haven't posted in a while, my WHS v1 was just working too well to worry about it. But now that v1 is no longer receiving updates and I am having trouble with USB3 enclosures on my Mediasmart server, it is time to look ahead.

The one add-in that made life really easy in v1 when a drive went back was Disk Management, which knew exactly where each drives was located. This add-in does neither exist for v2011 nor for 2012 Essentials. So my question: How do you keep track of which drive is where so that I do not pull the wrong drive in case of disaster?

Thanks for your input in advance.

You will have to manually track them. I usually just number them with a marker and then create a crossreference table. I print the table and print a copy and put it inside the case.

StableBit Scanner will report which port each disk is on. In addition to report smart errors, and disk errors. It is a paid program though... and you have to pick "disk details" to see that info.

In addition to the above comments, all SMART software will report a drive serial number so you can verify which one is which. I usually just label the drives once verified.

• Like 1

I think I will track by drive bay and serial number on paper then, and I do have two licenses for stablebit scanner and it does indeed give the details I need. Thanks!

Now my biggest problem is my sans digital tower enclosure which is giving me grief. Will need to head over the BYOB forums for this hardware issue now...