RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ramair2k

Questions about HPN40L as a Backup to WD Sentinel DX4000

ramair2k

Hello, I have a few questions about the N40L as a backup storage server for my home network. Currently I have a WD Sentinel DX4000 4TB model as my main server, hosting pics, movies, dvd rips, docs and home videos. My backup to this system is, formerly my main server, a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo V1 with two 1TB drives in Xraid. The Netgear only has about 400gb left of usable stoage with the MAX capacity of 2TB in Xraid. I will probably format these drives and sell off the Netgear as I have just simply outgrown it. I was looking at the HP microserver as a possible backup solution to my WD Sentinel.

I am going to be running FreeNAS on USB as the OS. My questions are the following:

1. Will FreeNAS allow me to utlize all four drives in RAID 5?

2. Will the onboard RAID controller limit me to either RAID 0 or 1?

I do not see the point in using all four drive bays if RAID 0 or 1 is all that can be used. I feel its a waste of usable storage space. I would like the HP to have the same amount of usable storage as the WD sentinel when fully stuffed with drives. Hopefully this all makes sense.

diehard

2 Yes. I read that the Micorserver can only do RAID 0 or 1. I believe that's a limitation of the hardware. You would have to buy a 3rd part RAID card that supports other raid configurations and one that uses the same SAS connector and unplug the cabe going to the motherboard and plug it into the new card.

schoondoggy

1. Are you asking if FN has software RAID 5? No, these are the software RAID modes supported; 0, 1, 3 (in UFS); Stripe, Mirror, RAID-Z, RAID-Z2, RAID-Z3 (in ZFS).

ikon

Rather than buy a RAID card, I would seriously consider using Stablebit DrivePool. It's cheaper and has other advantages.

schoondoggy

I have not played with FreeNAS for a while, but after a little research it looks like setting up as ZFS and RAID Z is recommended to take advantage of advanced features like snapshots, thin provisioning and data integrity checking. I think 8GB of memory would be the min on a N40L to run FreeNAS in ZFS properly. Also, it looks like they recommend not using a RAID card and let the OS do the work.