RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Smoothwall Express

revengineer

Hi guys,

Have been following the untangle / pfsense discussions on the podcast, and find marrying the two cumbersome. Have you heard or thought of using smoothwall express instead. It's free and there is a great community creating add-ons. You need the add-ons for dansguardian blocking and other advanced features. Check it out at smoothwall.org. I have been a user for 10 years now.

Just my 2 cents.

Rev

Ps: I realize that there is no pro virus solution, clamav only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• revengineer

• schoondoggy

I used Smoothwall and IPcop years ago, but moved away from them when ClarkConnect came out, then found Untangle and have been happy with it ever since.

PS, I also used FreeSCO way, way back.

Guest no-control

smoothwall is a great firewall as well, but honestly pfsense is a better router platform. For UTM untangle is a great stand alone system. Personally I really like the Zyxell stuff I've been recommending, but if you're looking to repurpose old hardware for testing or to learn about routing any of the *nix distros would work smoothwall, ipcop, m0n0wall, pfsense, vyatta. For UTM distros untangle, astaro, endian

I seem to be in the paralysis of analysis on this topic. I have played with some of the software solution combinations listed above, but I keep coming back to Fortinet, SonicWall, Watchgard,,,,,, Why are you recommending ZyXell?

Guest no-control

Cost mainly, their solutions are a good deal cheaper than cisco, juniper, sonicwall & fortinet. Fortinet would be the next step up the ladder for in terms of quality and performance. But zyxell offers a lot for small business SOHO and home and within reach of a sane budget for those applications.

I hate to agree with Mike here but i love the Zyxell product! Sorry Mike.

If I put a router in a SMB it's always a Zyxel.

smoothwall is a great firewall as well, but honestly pfsense is a better router platform. For UTM untangle is a great stand alone system. Personally I really like the Zyxell stuff I've been recommending, but if you're looking to repurpose old hardware for testing or to learn about routing any of the *nix distros would work smoothwall, ipcop, m0n0wall, pfsense, vyatta. For UTM distros untangle, astaro, endian

The Zyxell or other commercial solution would not pass the wife exceptance factor in my house, so I have to stick with the home brew solutions. I looked at pfsense just a few months ago and was disappointed about the lack of user-developed add-ins. The availability of these add-ins (e.g., dansguardian, acitve ip block, guardian active response, firewall full control, ISO backup) made smoothwall valuable to me because it allowed me to get away with a single installation without piggy-backing different products. With Untangle it appeared that you quickly hit the pay-wall but I did not check this more closely.

Could you elaborate why pfsense is a better routing platform? (Not trying to put you on the spot, just want to broaden my horizon.)

I'm running the free version of Untangle and haven't felt the need for any of the paid add-ins. True, you can get a better AV product with the add-in, but the free one works fine for me, as long as I have MSE on my client computers - haven't had any issues anyway.