RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How would an iPad fit into a home with WHS and Media Center?

Dave

Since the Apple iPad is due this Saturday I would like to see what your thoughts are on this topic. The good and the bad. Especially from the iPhone owners who may be using it in their home networks.

I've always wanted a touchscreen PC in my kitchen. I don't know the longevity of it's use but I think I could make it work in the household. I don't necessarily want be on a PC though. My first thought long ago was the HP Touchsmart. The iPad changes things because you can pick it up and take it to other rooms, out of the house, etc. Dock it back in it's stand in the kitchen when you are done.

How would you use it with WHS, Media Center, etc? Has anyone else thought of it's use within your network?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krom

• usacomp2k3

• wodysweb

• pcdoc

I have been thinking hard on this subject as I really like the tablet concept. I think I would rather have a Windows 7 tablet but the ipad is very sleek. In terms of using it with WHS, it would be mainly for streaming movies or audio. I use ORB for live streaming my DVD collection over WiFi and 3G, and I use my sling box to connect to my Direct TV HDDVR which also streams to my iPhone on both wifi and 3G. There are also som cool apps for controling media center but that is just a novelty and does not replace my harmony remote. All in all, I would love to have a "tablet" for my mobile multimedia needs but I am still in the debate mode on the iPad.

I order the iPad 3G on the opening day for reservations. I still don't know where or how it will fit into my network.

I run Air Video on my WHS. I hope to be able to transcode my video library, to the iPad format.

I purchased it for two reasons.
1. I want a casual way to surf the net.
2. I want to be able to use it as a more robust e-reader. I have a Kindle DX that I love. I read about 50 books a year. The only problem with the Kindle is some PDF look poor on the DX and look great on my iTouch.

Regards

Ethan

How can you afford to buy 50 books/year in digital form? We probably buy 100/year, but that's at $0.50-$1.00 a piece.

Good post Dave, there are all sorts of cool ways you could use the ipad or HP slate with media center and WHS...some just cost $$ :-)

You could use it with automation to control your Media Center, or run your automation system on WHS, some have add-ins for media center and iphone/pad
Homeseer , has a media center and iphone/pad apps
CQC , iphone/pad app
mControl , media center app (though mControl has sort've been abandoned lately though)

Or, you can use Autonomic Controls Mirage, CasaTunes through their iphone/ipad apps to play music and control your media center. If you have distributed audio this could be a multi-zone music controller as well (Nuvo Music Port).

Throw in Remote Potato and/or Big Screen By Remote for guide scheduling.

And, all of the current iphone remote control apps will probably make their way over to the iPad soon, along with perhaps some of the WHS add-ins (p-80, WHS Mobile, WHS Health, etc).

The possibilities are endless, and that didn't mention just simply streaming audio/video from WHS shares.

Good post Dave, there are all sorts of cool ways you could use the ipad or HP slate with media center and WHS...some just cost $$ :-)

You could use it with automation to control your Media Center, or run your automation system on WHS, some have add-ins for media center and iphone/pad
CQC , iphone/pad app
mControl , media center app (though mControl has sort've been abandoned lately though)

Or, you can use Autonomic Controls Mirage, CasaTunes through their iphone/ipad apps to play music and control your media center. If you have distributed audio this could be a multi-zone music controller as well (Nuvo Music Port).

And, all of the current iphone remote control apps will probably make their way over to the iPad soon, along with perhaps some of the WHS add-ins (p-80, WHS Mobile, WHS Health, etc).

The possibilities are endless, and that didn't mention just simply streaming audio/video from WHS shares.

CQC , iphone/pad app

As an iPhone user (and fan) I can safely say that the iPhone is NOT well designed to interface with the home server or media center. Can it be done? Yes. Is it easy or natively supported? No. The biggest problem is that the iPhone and iPad aren't computers and don't let you access network shared folders in a media library. I have used Orb and it works pretty well. That being said, you need to have it on a machine running 24/7 and it can be glitchy. The way Apple WANTS you to consume media is to buy it from iTunes and transfer it to the device with iTunes. This is what they make easy. The rest takes work. Thumbs down from me. (Big surprise)

Simple, it will not. At least not in my house. I will wait for the slates if I am inclined to have a similar device.

@AJ - Speaking of book pricing (and I know you guys were talking Kindle books/e-books), I have a Platinum Audible subscription - 2 books/month - at $22.95/month. It's sort of an indulgence, I suppose, but I can justify it because the selection is decent and the convenience is great.

I am considering an e-book reader. Where are you getting e-books for a dollar or less?